Questions about Siamese cat... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Questions about Siamese cat...

Hi,

I'm new here to the forum and first time owner of a Siamese male mix. Adopted him 2 weeks ago, he's about 9 months, very active and playful. He adapted in the new environment and getting along with the existed cats in the house pretty well. There are a few things that worry me: he's over 8 lbs and eating a lot. He eats non stop and drinks a lot also. I can see his belly getting round and big. What should I do?

One more thing about him is he rarely talk, almost never. Even when I put him in a carrier and took him to the vet, just one "meow" from him, that's all. If he wants something, he will jump on me and jump back down then come back jump on me again till I get up... I'm not sure what's going on, is he too young to talk or he's just a quiet kitty? What should I do to make him talk? I really love the meezer voice, that's one of the reasons I adopt a Siamese.

Please share your thoughts, thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: Questions about Siamese cat...

I think the Siamese "meow" is genetic, and perhaps it's recessive. That would account fo the lack of the typical "talking." I also love their voices, and their personalities are great. My suggestion? Rescue another one from the Siamese Rescue! Then you'll get all of the talking you want.

http://www.siameserescue.org/

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Cool Cat

It also just could be a personality thing. We had a cat who was half Siamese when I was growing up. She wasn't a big talker and when she did, it was just normal (if slightly loud) meows.

But, she was capable of the Siamese yowl, and she proved it every time we put in her in the carrier to take her to vet!

Eventually she went deaf with age and she became a constant talker. My parents joked that she was probably complaining about all her aches and pains!

Not sure what to advice about the weight gain. Maybe a vet visit would be in order?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

If he's eating non-stop, you should probably not be free-feeding him (if you are, that is). Give him a set amount at certain times. Charlee would eat every single bit of dry food I put down if I let her. So my girls get set meals of wet food and I give them dry food for snacks (or bribes).

Talk to him a lot. I read that cats that "talk" stop if nobody speaks to them. Maybe it'll work the other way around.

Pictures?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:56 PM

We have 2 siamese. Buttercup our flame point kitten is very vocal. She talks up a storm, especially when you Talk to her. Lexie our Seal point is quiet.. but when she does talk its when she's looking for us and she comes running when we talk back. She has a very distinctive meow but its very quiet.. she could get loud if she wanted I'm sure.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Premier Cat

I believe Marie is right. Cats don't communicate with each other very much. However, when we talk to them, they "talk" more. They get more results that way.

Jeanie

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Cat Addict

That Meezer meow is so unique! My two flame points have completely different meows. Big boy Orlando belts out a meow that sounds like "OWWW. It doesn't sound like Siamese or regular cat. My new little guy RayRay has the traditional Siamese meow. It sounds so funny to hear that yowl coming from this gentle little cat.

Sue

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Premier Cat

Nina is a sweet little thing, but if she's hungry, she makes sure I know it. And she has discovered that two sounds in a row..Ma Ma..brings petting and food faster! It sounds so cute!

Jeanie

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 01:04 PM

I have had 5 siamese (or siamese mixes) live with me over the period of my life.

Only one (the one I currently have) has been a talker. Some days (like early in the AM) I wish he didn't talk either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page