New Kitten, Unsure if im doing it right. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

New Kitten, Unsure if im doing it right.

Hi all, Just joined up.

A friend of mine had two kittens abandoned on her doorstep yesterday without mum. They look abour 8 weeks old and I said i would adopt one of them.

So..I have her

Ive got some wet food, and dry food. Is it best to put them in seperate bowls? or mix them? Also how much should she be eating ? Ive had her 4 hours and she hasnt eaten or drunk or gone to the bathroom, food water and litter box are available.

She isnt fearful, but isnt that keen to explore, just wants to cuddle with me mainly.

Anything i should be doing?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Re: New Kitten, Unsure if im doing it right.

Awww....what a cutie!

Keep the wet and dry foods in separate bowls, getting dry food wet and letting it sit for a while will cause bacteria growth. In general, wet food is better than dry there's a lot of info on the Health & Nutrition forum for you to read on wet vs dry and choosing a healthy food.

Kittens that age should be allowed to eat as much as they want (as long as they aren't gorging themselves).

A kitten that age shouldn't be given access to an entire house, it's very intimidating for them. Keep her confined to one room with litter, toys and food (Put litter and food at opposite ends), until she's feeling comfortable. It's normal for them not to eat or poop right away.

A kitten her age is kind of like a toddler...so you need to watch her carefully...she'll get busy playing and forget to go to the litterbox (especially if it's not right near her, don't expect her to go to another room, she'll forget it's there). You need to kitten proof your house...protect wires from her chewing, eliminate access to small hiding places, make sure she can't get at breakables etc.

Make her an appt for a vet visit for sometime next week...you need to get her tested for worms and other parasites, initial vaccinations and generally checked over.

She needs some scratching posts. You need to learn how to clip her nails, have the vets office show you.

That's all I can think of for now. Enjoy the new baby! What's her name? Are you sure it's a her?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
Awww....what a cutie!

Keep the wet and dry foods in separate bowls, getting dry food wet and letting it sit for a while will cause bacteria growth. In general, wet food is better than dry there's a lot of info on the Health & Nutrition forum for you to read on wet vs dry and choosing a healthy food.

Kittens that age should be allowed to eat as much as they want (as long as they aren't gorging themselves).

A kitten that age shouldn't be given access to an entire house, it's very intimidating for them. Keep her confined to one room with litter, toys and food (Put litter and food at opposite ends), until she's feeling comfortable. It's normal for them not to eat or poop right away.

A kitten her age is kind of like a toddler...so you need to watch her carefully...she'll get busy playing and forget to go to the litterbox (especially if it's not right near her, don't expect her to go to another room, she'll forget it's there). You need to kitten proof your house...protect wires from her chewing, eliminate access to small hiding places, make sure she can't get at breakables etc.

Make her an appt for a vet visit for sometime next week...you need to get her tested for worms and other parasites, initial vaccinations and generally checked over.

She needs some scratching posts. You need to learn how to clip her nails, have the vets office show you.

That's all I can think of for now. Enjoy the new baby! What's her name? Are you sure it's a her?

Hiya , Thank you for the reply!

Ive organised a vet visit so she can have a health check and get her vaccinations.

Ive got two scratching posts set up and will be asking the vet about her nails.

I live in an apartment and had planned to only have her in the living room anyway. Ive covered all the wires i can reach and have set out some toys for her.

Im pretty positive its female but if someone could remind me what to look for? Ive not had cats in a while, and never one this young.

Ive called her Milou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milou
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
Awww....what a cutie!

Hiya , Thank you for the reply!

Ive organised a vet visit so she can have a health check and get her vaccinations.

Ive got two scratching posts set up and will be asking the vet about her nails.

I live in an apartment and had planned to only have her in the living room anyway. Ive covered all the wires i can reach and have set out some toys for her.

Im pretty positive its female but if someone could remind me what to look for? Ive not had cats in a while, and never one this young.

Ive called her Milou

Cute kitty.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/kitx.html

Is a site with pictures on how to determine the sex of a cat/kitten.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Premier Cat

Congratulations!!
She/he is adorable!
Just wanted to add to the kitten proofing list. Go around the house and make sure anything she could swallow or chew is put away. Things like rubber bands, paper clips, thumb tacks, cleaning supplies etc can cause some serious problems. They get into the craziest places, so make sure you check under and behind furniture and inside any closets or cabinets that he/she might get into.
Have fun with "her"!

Victoria
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Hmm..she has a black butt! But it looks female to me. Ill get the vet to double check thanks!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Cat Addict

I think the previuos posts covered everything except that she may be too scared to eat for a while. 4 hours isn't long. I just brought in a new cat and even though she seemed to have relxed with me with a day I don't think she ate for 2 days. A new environment is scary, in a cats mind they don't know what predators might be lurking out there.

Then there can be taste in food. I had Fay in my house for 30 hours before I found out who she belonged to, and who threw her out of the house, and in that 30 hours she wouldn't eat anything. I offered her the best in canned cat food, tuna, canned salmon,baby food, everything the people around me who know cats could think of. I later found out from her owner she'd only eat dry food. I've never been able to get her to eat anything else. Just offer her everything.

I was lucky enough to find out that my second cat loved rotessire chicken from from her former foster mom and that kick started her eating. She's still been eating too little because my original cat scares her. I have to isolate number two and sit with her for a while for her to calm her down and then she'll usually eat after I leave the room.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

I think im just being a worry wendy..

When i woke up this morning she is very very vocal, so i popped her by the food and water dishes incase she was hungry..Nope.
Popped her in her litter box...

And it seemed like she wanted to..But she gave a couple yowls and gave up after a pee..

Now she still hasnt eaten so there cant be anything for her to pass, but should i be worried?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:

When i woke up this morning she is very very vocal, so i popped her by the food and water dishes incase she was hungry..Nope.

And it seemed like she wanted to..But she gave a couple yowls and gave up after a pee..

Now she still hasnt eaten so there cant be anything for her to pass, but should i be worried?

No. When I brought my adult cat home about two weeks ago, he also didn't eat/poo/pee for the first day or two.

I think that's normal, she should begin eating/eliminating soon.

Try sitting by her food dish. Call her over and stick your finger in her food. That sounds weird, but for the first few days (after the initial two where all he did was hide under the bed), that's what my cat responded to. Now he gobbles up everything at meal time without any coaxing - he'll even wake me up to be fed if I've slept in a little late!

Try different foods, too, I think is a great suggestion. If you're not sure what she was eating before, offer a lot of options.

Also, try mixing some water with any wet food (but not dry food). This will increase the water intake, and may cause her to pee more quickly, too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka
Quote:

No. When I brought my adult cat home about two weeks ago, he also didn't eat/poo/pee for the first day or two.

I think that's normal, she should begin eating/eliminating soon.

Try sitting by her food dish. Call her over and stick your finger in her food. That sounds weird, but for the first few days (after the initial two where all he did was hide under the bed), that's what my cat responded to. Now he gobbles up everything at meal time without any coaxing - he'll even wake me up to be fed if I've slept in a little late!

Try different foods, too, I think is a great suggestion. If you're not sure what she was eating before, offer a lot of options.

Also, try mixing some water with any wet food (but not dry food). This will increase the water intake, and may cause her to pee more quickly, too.
Thanks for you reply, I have lactol on hand as I breed ferrets and sometimes have to help with feeding, I mixed some up and she lapped that from a dish so I know she has Some nutrients in her.

Ive mixed a little formula with some wet food and she had a couple licks off my finger so thats looking good, and she did go to the toilet later on.

I will concur with the cat waking you up! My last one did that 7:30 sharp every mornin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page