Whether to ear tip or not? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Whether to ear tip or not?

Ginger the stray I took in pregnant is getting spayed on Monday. As it stands she will be an outdoor cat because no one has adopted her and she cannot come inside here--unless obviously necessary for a short period of time.

At the place that is spaying I have the option to ear tip--Ginger is not feral and will have a tattoo on her belly after the spay, would it be worthwhile to ear tip as well?

Do you think that would turn people off in adopting her in the future?

I do have a strong feeling she will remain with us and not be adopted simply because the demand is so high for kittens and so many people are giving up their pets as it is.

Thanks

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Whether to ear tip or not?

I wouldn't do it.
It's really only for ferrels so people know they have been spayed/neutered and they aren't trapped again. If she's going to stay with you, or possibly be adopted it isn't necessary and it is unattractive the way a lot of places do it. They take half the ear! At least when we used to do it we just made a little notch. I was shocked the first time I saw the entire tip gone. Yuck!

Victoria
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Would you consider microchipping her? It costs almost nothing and at least if someone found her and wanted to give her a new home, they could contact you so you'd know where she went.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

If she is going to stay for sure she will get micro chipped--I can get it done at the shelter for $15--the place that is spaying will charge me $35 to microchip. Like I said she will have a tattoo on her belly from the spay--and she is a short hair with a light colored belly.

Leslie
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Premier Cat

I think I would only ear-tip cats who were feral and/or *never* going to be relocated with whatever family was caring for them if they moved. I had to TNR Pretty to get her spayed and she was returned to our property ear-tipped. I knew if we had to move there would be no way she could come with us so the ear-tip would let others know she had been spayed. I worked with her very diligently over the years, and it *did take* four years before I was able to turn her from a frightened and wary feral into a calm and happy housecat...but I had no confidence that would ever happen, so I had her ear-tipped. She is a permanant member of our family and there will be no worries of having to leave her behind if we ever must move.

Is Ginger going to be allowed out around your property? ...and will she come to your home for regular feedings? If so, maybe a breakaway collar with tags will be enough, because if she is friendly and *can* be placed into a home, I think I'd rather see her not tipped.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yes she will be allowed out around my home, I will feed her and vet her. I don't think I will ear tip--she is friendly and will have her belly tattoo, I will also have a collar and tags on her--and at some point micro-chip.

Leslie
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 02:23 AM
Premier Cat

I think you've made a good decision. I've seen some organizations go way overboard on ear tipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page