Kitty Tears - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Kitty Tears

So, I've always read that cats don't cry tears due to pain or emotions like we humans. But I've decided I'm not buying it....

As I've said before, Kobi can be a real jerk, and will pick on the girls, especially around a full moon. When he does this he gets physical and will usually pin them and there's biting going on. Recently I've noticed that I'll hear Holly squawking and then she'll come running to me, jumps in my lap and there's always big tears running down her face.

In humans, there would be a few explanations...pain, fear, frustration, upset etc. I'm not buying an emotional response, but I definitely think Holly is crying tears of pain and coming to me for comfort. It happened today and when she jumped on me, she had several wet patches where Kobi had been biting on her. I wiped her tears away and she stayed cuddled up in my arms for quite a while. Of course, Holly being Holly, she went back out on the porch and snuggled right up to Kobi like it never happened.

Anyone else have cats that cry tears? I want to hear your stories. I tried googling it, but most of what I read was pretty far fetched.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 02:56 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Kitty Tears

I think cats do have emotions, but I've never had a cat who cried real tears. At least not that I noticed.
I have read articles stating that cats have brain structures which would enable them to feel emotions like we do.
Give sweet Holly some extra cuddles and treats for me!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

I've been watching my cats and thinking about this thread. Sometimes, my girls come up to me and give a little noise (what noise depends on which cat), and I think if I ever saw tears, it would be too much. Cleo whimpers after Cinderella is mean to her. That's sad enough for me. Thank goodness there aren't any tears. That I've noticed. But now I'm looking.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I know I feel so bad, she usually has one big tear in each eye (sometimes only one eye) and it wells over and that's it. It's not like a kid with tears streaming down their face. I don't think every cat has it happen, after all...Kobi treated Maggie & Callie the same way (much worse really) and neither of them ever had tears. So it surprised me with Holly and took a while to connect it. But I've never seen those tears outside of a situation where Kobi's been mean.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:38 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

Nito had tears once.... When we go on car-rides, it's usually 45 minutes or less. Nito is iffy about car-rides. He handles them better than a lot of cats, but sometimes he'll yap the entire time. I had to drop my sister off from our home town, to Milwaukee, then drive myself back to Madison. Nito had to ride the whole way, and stay alone in the car in the parking garage for 20 min When we got back in the car, he had little wet spots under his eyes. Poor scared little guy. He insisted on riding the rest of the trip in my lap, hiding his head in my shirt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page