What do you think??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

What do you think???

So we have two indoor cats right now...we've had them for 2 years and they are great! Well, my girlfriend wants to adopt a kitten that's been hanging around the house for the past few weeks.....the mother doesn't seem very big and we're not sure if she can give enough to the 4 kittens....so to my surprise, she's been giving them some kitten food to help them out.....today she brought one to the vet to be "cleaned up" and de-wormed...the vet suggested we have our two and this one vacinated 4x a booster somethingg (73.11) 4x another one (56.6 and 4x another different one (80.37)....well this is freaken insane....

Would you say its needed? I mean has anyone ever brought in a stray kitten inside their home to be a house cat???

Thanks!!!

Please Help Us......we want the kitten, but no way at this amount of $$$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Cat

Re: What do you think???

Well, I'm not an expert. Our kitten is only getting one vaccination 3x (plus a rabies shot once she's bigger and de-wormer obviously), BUT she will be and always has been an indoor cat. Cats that are let outside are at MUCH greater risk, and therefore probably do require more vaccinations. I would suggest getting a second opinion on the matter, however, because I don't see why your two indoor cats would need so many vaccinations (unless I'm missing something).

I would definitely encourage you to do something about them, even if you cannot take on the burden yourself. You can take them (mommy included) to a shelter so they can get proper treatment and find homes. They are lucky they found a couple who are willing to try and help them out
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

We did do just that and we got a second opinion from the local SPCA. We are going to have the kitten tested for a cat like aids test or something and if that passes no problem, we were told the kitten wouldn't have any problems that any other cat could have....therefore our cats would still be safe. They basically said our cats could have something aswell, but haven't shown signs of anything as of yet.

So another 60 bucks and we will know if we can keep the cats with ours or if we will have to give him to another loving home....that have no pets yet.....we cleaned his ears again today and gave him a bath which was recommended by two different sourcee....we'll see tomorow how things go....

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

BTW, one of our two cats is named Gizmo aswell
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Cat

How old are the kittens, anyway?

That is cute. Ours is so named because he looks like a gremlin.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 01:20 AM
Premier Cat

I take in strange cats all the time. Every single one of our cats (a dozen at the most and currently eight, right now) was rescued from one dire circumstance or another. I also foster kittens and cats, some who arrive feral and need to be tamed and socialized before they can be adopted through the program. The only precautions I take are keeping the new cats isolated from my permanant cats. If any cat has an obvious respiratory infection (coughing, sneezing and mucus crusted around the eyes, nose and mouth) I keep them isolated with TWO doors closed between them and my housecats, wash my hands and sometimes change clothing after handling the sick cat.
After the new cat(s) have been given a clean health-check and their first vaccinations, I will allow mingling with my own cats. My indoor cats do not get vaccinated every year, though my outdoor barn cats DO. This works out for me, my situation and the area of the country I live in. If I were in an area that had a high rate of diseases for cats, I would be much more vigilent in both housing (no access outdoors) and vaccinations.

I would also like to suggest, if you take in one kitten...could you take all four and possibly find a way to get the other 3 into a foster situation for an adoption place? ...and maybe have this organization help you with spaying the mother cat and either doing TNR (trap, neuter, release) or putting her through their adoption program?
Just a suggestion, I know everyone can't do what I do, but I did want to mention it in case it was do-able for you both.
Heidi =^..^=

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page