Collar - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Collar

What do you think....

Is it a good idea to have a collar on an indoor cat, incase they ever slipped outside...or do you think it is to danergous (ex. they may get it caught on something when your not home etc)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Collar

I guess it's projecting a bit of my own dislike of anything around my neck, but I've never considered putting a collar on any of my girls. They're all indoor kitties and all microchipped.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Premier Cat

Hey! That gave me something to think about! I've never been able to wear chains/metal around my neck (break-out in a rash) and can only have jewels, pearls, beads or ribbon/cord and I wonder if that has influenced my preference? I have never been a fan of collars on animals or halters on horses unless needed for direct control.
With the horses, you do *not* want a 1,000 animal to struggle if they get their halter (nylon will NOT break) caught on anything and I disliked the ruffled fur at cats/dogs' necks from collars. Where we live, collars won't help cats. If my housecats are out for longer than a few minutes, I am actively searching and anything beyond several hours I will be knocking on doors and handing out flyers to the surrounding houses/properties so there could be no question that I'm looking and if they see the described cat to contact me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Cool Cat

I used to collar Misty and Stormy. Eventually I got tired of the where-has-Misty-left-her-collar-today game and collared only Stormy. Then I discovered she was developing white hairs where the collar was. I figured that couldn't be good, so I stopped collaring her, too.

She still has the white hairs. I feel sort of guilty about that.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

good points.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Premier Cat

Mine are microchipped. When I go out of town and other people are taking care of them I do put on collars "just in case".

Now if you insist on your kitty wearing a collar even after it is microchipped might I suggest this tasteful collar!

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6225698

I bought a couple of them from Whisker Kisses shop on etsy.So I could take pictures of my fosters in them. I think they are clever. She has very cute accoutrements available!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Banned

Thats very cute Merry
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Cat Addict

Personally I like collars on my kitties. When the boys were younger they wore harnesses, with two i needed handles! lol. (i really did use them as handles...) Also, they needed bells. They kept sneaking up on Jitzu and I was afraid for their LIVES!!! lol

Now that they are older I like having their information on them, but mostly I like finding a collar that matches their personality. Jitzu has a black leopard print collar (and I've been debating getting her a shiny black pleather one...lol) and it suits her great, Torri's is pink leopard print and it suits the little princess, Doran's is grey and red plaid, and Muffin's is red and beige plaid, for my two little gentleman.

I just like them to wear collars. I do take them off and give the kitties a scratch under them regularly, but I feel safer with them on. Around here microchips are virtually unknown, so if I had done the chipping (planning on it, but broke...*sigh*) and a kitty got out there would still be no guarantee. In fact people generally assume if the animal has no collar it was dumped, or a stray. So, the usually just keep it. IMO the collars are safer in my area.

But really, it's up to you. Whatever you choose she'll get used to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page