Best Kitty Litter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Best Kitty Litter

I'm sure this has been asked before, but perhaps you guys can help.

I wanted to know, what's the best low-tracking litter that still does the job? I spend soooo much time cleaning all the little granules of kitty litter that is tracked all over the floor, and unfortunately, sometimes still attached to poop. Perhaps it will get better as my kitten gets older?

Any suggestions?

Chairman Mao and his non-fur parent, Yunn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Cat

Re: Best Kitty Litter

I've gone through about five different types of litter and have not found one that does not track. Correction - I found one, but it does not clump. I tossed that 'cuz I'd rather it track than not clump.. and it stank. My solution was to put a "litter mat" in front of, and a little under, the litterbox. It has little hairs on it that grab the litter stuck to their paws. It totally worked for me. The mat gets covered with litter pretty quickly, but the room stays litter-free.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 08:33 PM

No clumping litter for kitties. But once they are older (and no longer exploring things with their mouths), I love love love clumping litter.

The best kind I've found is Ever Clean. It's expensive, but worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Cat

Quote:
The best kind I've found is Ever Clean. It's expensive, but worth it.
Yep. I totally agree. That's what I use. I had odor with all the other ones I tried, but Ever Clean.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Cat

btw.. I had no idea you can't use clumping litter for kittens.. Really? (Never had kittens) I guess it makes sense with them being so "explorative"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEngelw
btw.. I had no idea you can't use clumping litter for kittens.. Really? (Never had kittens) I guess it makes sense with them being so "explorative"
The clumping litter contains something (sodium benonite or something, sp?) but it's what makes it clump.... the fear is that kittens, who explore things with their mouths, might accidentally ingest it, and it would expand and absorb water from inside and "clump" in their tummies....

There's some fear about all cats who use clumping litter, actually, as they groom themselves, ingesting the dust or small pieces lodged between their toes... and in general about clay litter because of the dust it kicks up being unhealthy for their lungs -- I'm still wrestling with all of this myself, but can't seem to find any studies done on the dangers of clay cat litter.

It freaks me out that several cat kitter brands are made from companies that also manufacture bleach -- like Clorox, however

And, while Ever Clean is the best kind I've found, I recently tried Scoop Away (Fresh Scent) (it was on sale, and I got enough to last me two months!) and while dusty, it does a good job of covering odor (doesn't have quite the same nice fresh fragrance as Ever Clean does, though) and clumps just as well as Ever Clean, IMO. But I don't think my cat smells as much as other cats. He did when I first got him home, but now his pee and poo doesn't reek, and I think it has to do with the high quality food I give him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page