Treasure trover - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Treasure trover

Percy's found a new amusement:digging in the garbage. I came home last night to find my kitchen garbage can toppled and dug through. I was less than happy,quickly cleaned it up. This morning another surprise!-SOMEONE had clawed through a garbage bag I was about to take out to the dumpster. He seems to be looking for something in particular. Gold? Captain Kitty's treasure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Treasure trover

I remember those days with Maggie...no trash was safe with her around. She finally outgrew it after about 8 years .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

My trash is safe, it's my cupboards that have been irresistable lately.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 02:57 AM
Premier Cat

Our garbage was only unsafe if there was MEAT thrown away in it. Those little 'pads' that soak up meat juices? Any trimmed off meat/fat? Bones? Anything and everything to do with meat and Mousie would dig it out and strew it all over the kitchen, sharing with other interested cats once it was on the floor, but she was the only one who would actively pursue it. Chicken was her special favorite and she would go to great lengths to procure it, even jumping up and *into* the can.

We changed our habits and put all meat waste in ziplock bags in the fridge/freezer until trash pick-up day and then I'd take them out to the garbage cans. Having all that enticing stuff *frozen before it could smell* helped prevent dogs and raccoons from tipping the cans overnight.

I would also tie up and take trash out to the garage and set it next to the rear tire of my car. This would remind me to put it in the can before I drove anywhere, but it annoys my husband to no end if he has to go into the garage to get any tools he wishes to take to work. I cannot change my ways, I do the dishwasher and trash just before bed, which is usually after 2am, most nights and there are just times when I do not want to GO outside to put the trash in the can, after dark. Mostly because it isn't well-lit behind the fence and I know there could be spiders and webs I may not see. I have offered the solution of *him* taking care of the trash on his schedule, but he hasn't taken me up on the offer...

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 04:01 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

Nito will dig out his old thrown away cans. I don't know how he does it without spilling the whole trash. I'll find the cans licked completely clean, and sitting right next to the trash.

I've taken to rinsing them now
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties

I've been lucky, I guess. None of my cats have tried to go dumpster diving, LOL!! Though I have noticed that Star has been a bit more curious about the trash can when it gets full. I've caught him raised up on his hind legs sniffing at the trash. I'm knocking on wood that he won't try to see what's inside by knocking it over. *knock, knock*

----------
Renée
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I've improvised a possible solution. I bought garbage cans with snap-tite lids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page