Help! New cat is not eating... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Help! New cat is not eating...

Hi everyone,
Im worry about my new cat. I adopted her yesterday from a very nice breeder. Starlee is retired female over 1 year old purebred Oriental Shorthair. She meowed a lot while in the car when I picked her up but very quiet once I got her home. I placed her in a cat cage to separate her from other cats in the house for now. Shes hiding in a corner and wont eat, drink or use the litter box at all since. I tried to have her sniff at all different cat food, wet and dry but nothing interested her. All she does is just stare at me, I know she is sad to have to be away from her previous owner and Ill be there to take care of her patiently but I dont know what to do to. How long are the longest hours for a cat to starve herself till she starts eating again? She already is skinny...
What should I do? Please help, thanks a lot.
Vanessa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Help! New cat is not eating...

It is normal for cats moved to new situations to be quiet/still/hide until they grow more comfortable and show a desire to explore. Usually, the first day or so, they don't do much of anything. On the 2nd day, you really want her to eat something, and I would bet that she may eat at night when everything is (and has been) quiet and still for a while. It will just take time to get accustomed to this new home and patience and encouragement on your part.
heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi Heidi, thanks for your reply. I found some food was gone from Starlee's bowl this morning. I think she nibbled on it a little bit during the night. I'm glad she did
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Vanessa.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Premier Cat

Congrats on the new kitty

Would you describe the cage a bit? Is it out where the other cats can see her? Perhaps she would be happier closed off in a room, separated from the others but with one or two places where she can safely hide.

I'm glad to hear she's eaten Good luck and let us know how she's doing.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi, I keep the cage in my bedroom, before I left for work today, I left her cage's door open and the bedroom door closed so she can roam the room while have plenty of food, water and litter box whenever she needs. Also, I told my son not to open the door to let other cats in.

Here is the cage link:
http://www.petedge.com/ProSelect-Standa ... goryId=502

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, that sounds like a good plan I asked because depending on how the cage was being used, it might add to her stress. Having a safe room for her will give her time to adjust rather than getting overwhelmed by a big new space, other cats, new smells and noises, etc.

How's she doing today?

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Tom Cat

Its sounds like you have a good plan going.

From what I know about oriental cats, it may take a little longer for them to come around. They develop a strong bond to their human. (usually one person in particular). So the cat may take a bit longer to trust you, but once she does youll have a constant companion.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi,
My Starlee is getting more comfortable now. Last night, she came out of her cage and walked around the room while I was there, then she came and sat next to me. She still a bit scared when I picked her up so I decided to take it slow with her. Shes eating more and used her litter box. Silly me, but this must be the first time Im so happy to clean a cat litter box, lol.
My worried days soon will be over, thank you all for your help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page