Roaming Female? Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Roaming Female? Help!

Im having a big issue with my female Maine Coon/Siberian mix (Mirage), one year old. Shes managed to figure out how to escape through the dogs door and cannot get back in whats more, she now has my boy going out (who is absolutely terrified of outside!) to protect her or something. Ive been trying for two years, until now successfully, to keep them both from outside as I lost my first son at three years that way and am scared to death that they will met the same fate as him.

My question is, if I get her fixed (as has already been planned and an appointment made), would this likely stop her from this behavior? I do not want to have to resort to this, as her scent might change and Onyx (my boy) might attack her and we might possibly have to go through that painful introductory process all over again.

Short of locking the dog door at night (which isnt really a long-term solution as the dogs got to go and not on the carpets), I dont know what else to do! Please help us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Roaming Female? Help!

Getting her fixed will curb her desire to go out. Females in heat are desperate to get out and mate. You should get her in to the vet ASAP or you'll have kittens before you know it.

Is your male cat fixed? If not, it would make sense to get both cats taken care of at the same time, especially since you are worried about the cats getting along after the spay. After the vet visit, try rubbing the cats with the same towel to exchange scents. Also, put a dab of vanilla (yes, the kind you use to make cookies) on the back of each cat's neck to help them smell the same. This trick works well after vet visits!

As for the dog door, I don't have any suggestions as I've never had one myself. Hopefully someone else can offer a suggestion for you.

Even after the spay, it would be prudent to keep the cats from escaping, plus your female will need to stay inside away from intact males for at least a couple of weeks after the spay to prevent pregnancy.

I'm sorry about your son

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

The only way to stop the cats from going out is to get a dog door that is activated by a transmitter on the dog's collar. Then the door will only open for the dog.

But get your girl spayed anyway. She'll still try to door dash if she's in heat and you don't want to be contributing to over population problems. It also eliminates the risk of reproductive organ cancers and diseases like pyometra. You may have a little trouble with her coming back from the vet smelling funny, but it usually resolves within a couple days, no more than a week. You can help that along by rubbing a towel on each cat and then the other to intermingle their scents. Also a dab of vanilla extract on the back of the neck will help make them smell the same.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you both so much for weighing in on our situation. I'm going to go ahead with getting her fixed. I just really hope that this solves the problem, I don't know what I would do if I lost either of them the same way as Salem. They're my everything. Thanks again!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Premier Cat

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I actually think I might have to postpone the spay. We think that she's already pregnant. I'm noticing changes in her behavior (really affectionate and sleeping and eating more - not roughhousing with Onyx as usual, and she is also tending to avoid him). She's also gotten "rounder" - which she was lanky before. And I've also noticed that she has a pouch between her legs. I don't know for sure, but the prospects are good that she is carrying kittens.

I don't think that I should take her in just yet, as I think she would have a higher risk of death if they went through with the procedure without telling me that she's pregnant and yeah, I just really don't think that's a good situation. I can't afford a vet visit right now, but I'm going to try and call around and see if ANY place will let me take her in for free just to palpate her stomach and have a listen with the stethoscope and let me know for sure. All signs indicate that if she was pregnant, she'd be around 2 to 3 weeks along as per website information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page