adopting a cat, need advice. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Vi_
Kitten

adopting a cat, need advice.

greetings everyone.
first, i want to apologize if this is in the wrong section, i got a little confused where i should make this thread, so i went for the general.

so, i adopted(or more likely vice versa) a 3 years old cat from a shelter last week, but due to her needing a neuter surgery i will only get to pick her up this thursday. i'm kind of happy about it, 'cause it gives me more time to prepare since i have never owned a cat. i have done a lot of research about having a cat and how to help it to adapt better to the new surroundings. but there are some things which are still not quite clear for me. i have read that you have to keep the cat in a quiet and closed room for the first day or two, but what i don't understand is, can you let it occasionally out and do you keep the litter box and food bowl in the same room? also, do you keep the door shut completely or leave a little crack open for the cat to have the ability to leave if it wishes so, and i want to keep the litter box in the second bathroom which is not used as much as the main one and keep the food bowls in the kitchen, can i keep them there from the very beginning or do i have to place them in the room where the cat will be placed at first? another thing i don't quite get is, some sources say you have to gently put the cat in the litter box to introduce it and teach it where it is, but some sources say that you should never ever do that, so, which is it, should i do that or not?
also, i'd be happy if people could suggest me good cat food, right now i have bought hill's and purina pro plan, since that is what my friends feed to their cats, is it any good or should i be looking out for other alternatives?

i apologize for so many questions, but i just wanna get it all right and make it as non-stressful for the cat as possible, so i want to get it all clear.
i hope you can help me and i will take any kind of advice.

p.s. sorry for the grammar mistakes and maybe some nonesense in the text, english is not my first language and it is 3am right now, so i'm pretty tired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Cat

Re: adopting a cat, need advice.

Congratulations! Everyone here is big on pictures, so once you get her home and settled in you should definitely whip out the camera. My suggestions are all based on how I introduced my cat to the household. There are probably different and possibly better ways of doing things, but this worked for me:

Access to the entire house can be overwhelming for a stressed cat, so go ahead and keep the door to "her" room shut until she seems like she wants to explore--she'll let you know when she is ready. Keep the food and litter box in "her" room at first (just make sure that they are on opposite sides of the room as cats don't like to eat and poop in the same area).

Once she is ready to explore start leaving the door to her room open when you're home, and let her emerge as she wishes. I wouldn't start relocating her food and litter until she seems at ease in the house and shows no desire to seek refuge in her room. At that point you can probably move the food and simply show her the new location. As far as the litter box goes, you might consider doing a slow switch; what we did is move the box just a few feet every couple of days until it was in the desired location.

As far as showing your cat the litter box, I wouldn't bother. If it's in a small room with her she will find it on her own, and forcibly placing her in or near it could be frightening. Most cats will seek and use the litter box instinctively--if you find she has problems with it just let the forum know and I guarantee you'll get plenty of suggestions

A lot of people advocate the raw food diet for cats. Personally, I feed mine Wellness Core and they really love it. Basically you want to look for a food that is grain-free (preferably), with real meat (not meat byproduct) as the first ingredient, and no fish (fish oil is fine). The general consensus now seems to be that canned food is better than kibble (for a number of reasons), so it's important to at least supplement your cats diet with some wet food every day if possible. Most commercial pet foods are very low quality, but the high end stuff can get expensive.

Apparently I'm quite long-winded. I think that about covers it though. Can't wait to hear how she settles in
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Vi_
Kitten

Re: adopting a cat, need advice.

thank you very much for the reply, it helped a lot.

about the food, i was thinking of mixing the two together, the dry and the wet, is that ok?
and few days ago i found a cat food called Orijen which is grain-free, do you know anything about it, would you recommend it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page