Cats and babies - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cats and babies

Can anyone recommend some good books or other information sources to prepare some very spoiled cats for new baby in the house?
We have about 7 months to prepare them, so I thought I would start now.

thank you
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 02:48 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Cats and babies

I don't know of any books, and I've never had children, but this is what my sister and my neighbors did to help their dogs make the adjustment to having a baby in the house. I'm sure it would work for kitties, too.

They bought baby-things (furniture, highchairs, bassinets, playpens and carseats) and had them out to get the animals accustomed to seeing/smelling them.
They bought a doll that would cry like a baby, and would set it in a crib or on the couch and let it cry, letting the animals come check it out while talking to the pets and reassuring them that they were being very brave/good. Watching for nervousness and utilizing the cry-sound to get them accustomed to it, but not letting it reach a crescendo of fear for the pet.
At the hospital, after the baby is born bring home a blanket with both Mother & Baby smells for the pets to check out and become familiar with.

If your cats are used to noises (like watching TV and/or movies with the volume up) they should do fine with a baby in the house. Of course, any constant crying will get *everybody* worked-up a bit, so it may be a good idea to set up a "pet room" with a TV or noise machine to help cover any noises that could cause the pets anxiety.

Congrats on the baby and good luck with your pets,
Heidi

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Cats and babies

Congrats Dad!

All I can say is don't stress about it, otherwise cats and baby will pick up on it. Let the cats investigate the baby, sniff, touch etc. Supervise of course, but not allowing them near the baby and making it an unknown will cause stress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page