Male Cats-Question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Male Cats-Question

If a male cat is neutered at a young age & is kept with only spayed females, will he spray?

We had a male cat in the house years ago. He had sprayed in the house so we had him fixed asap and he still continued to do it...

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Male Cats-Question

ANY cat can spray. Age and gender play little role in why a cat sprays.

Usually spraying is used to send a message of "this is mine!" but my thoughts are if you have cats who are laid back, very relaxed about sharing resources (food, shelter, space, people) and do not get alarmed when strange animals/people are seen/heard/smelled then it would be rare for a cat to spray.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Tom Cat

I have heard that if a male cat is neutered before they start spraying, they are less likely to spray in the future.

I don't know if that's true but maybe someone here can confirm.

regards,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Tom Cat

Jack was neutered at 16 weeks and has never sprayed. Harley was neutered at 1 year appx and has never sprayed in our home.

Leslie
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Premier Cat

When we lived in CA we 'rescued' a feral farm-cat who was about 11yrs old. I had been feeding him in the barn and just getting him used to being around me when we came back from a vacation and found him with a broken leg. We took him to the after-hours vet who x-rayed, put him in a cast and neutered him. We brought him home and kept him in a 'hutch' my husband built in the barn, but spring was ending and summer heat was starting to roll in and I felt it was too hot out there for him, so I brought the hutch into the livingroom. Within a week, he was out and living with the rest of our cats...most of whom were his 'children'. He became a *retired* feral farm-cat and enjoyed the house-cat life for another 4yrs. He never sprayed AND he was wonderful with our other cats, he sort of adopted a bottle-kitten I was raising and accepted other cats we brought into our home without any problems.
I *really* feel temperament plays a very large role, especially in stress-related marking (spraying) behaviors.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 02:07 AM
Kitten

My first son never sprayed - we got him fixed despite this at a very young age (just after puberty) because he roamed. However, my second son began praying as soon as he reached maturity (the scent of my first son, who had passed on just a few months before we welcomed the second, likely provoked him into spraying). We've gotten him fixed as well, and he's not sprayed since. Not even now that he's got a little sister - who's not yet spayed (scheduled this month) and drives him nuts when she's in heat, poor dear.

So I agree, it's really all just down to temperament and circumstance. Likelihood is, he won't feel the need to spray if the females are fixed and/or he gets along with them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thank you for all the replies.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Jr. Cat

Quinn was neutered young and has always either lived with spayed female kitties or as an only cat. He is totally laid back and although he is highly food-motivated, he is not what I'd call an alpha personality, lol. I never had an issue with him spraying until this past spring... SO and I didn't want to turn our air conditioning on in April as a matter of principle so we left the windows open frequently. My guess is that some feral intact tom was leaving his calling card outside our house, and while we couldn't smell it, Quinn could. He began marking corners in our bedroom. Even after we started keeping the windows closed full time, we still occasionally see spraying behavior because it can form as a stress-relief habit over time. Fingers crossed, it's been several months since the last episode!

So yes, any cat can spray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page