Collapsible cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Collapsible cat?

Mike the brat (oops I mean Kitten) that I got when I got Tyson (remember the half blind sickly 4 week old?) appears to be either collapsible or double jointed.

He will walk along the passage and rub up against another cat and just "plop" he gets on my lap and the same thing happnes ..he doesnt settle into a comfy position its as if his legs just "give in" then he will purr his little brains out and drag himself to a better position usually rolling onto his back ....

He does the same thing on the bed .. he runs up to me and just "flops"on my face and doesnt move ....he is a very weird little boy ...he "flops" onto all my cats much to their horror .. he and Tyson seem to think they are the family babies that must have their every need attended to ... and they are nearly 8 months old now ..so the adults are becoming less patient .

Im just wondering how common this type of kitten is ???? I have a swatter (Tyson) and now a "flopper" ???

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Tom Cat

Re: Collapsible cat?

I don't know about kittens, but my 6 yo does something similar sometimes. She usually flops down in most inconvenient location she can find, like in the middle of the kitchen, in front of the fridge, when there are 20 people in the house. Last time we had a small party people kept asking "Is your cat alright?" I would pick her up, move her to a nice comfy chair and she would get up, walk into the kitchen and plop down in the same spot.

She also has a "self destruct button". If you touch just the right spot on her belly while she is standing she'll instantly flop over to one side, completely limp.

I think it's probably the trait they purposely bread into ragdolls.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Cat

self destruct button!!! i love it!!!

Suki plops. She is also a 'circler' She treads round in little cirlces befor settling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I used to think there was something wrong with him because he also seems double jointed...until you watch him at play !!! then a whole new kitty appears

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Cat Addict

I used to have a cat that would flop every time you spoke to her. She was a white cat with beautiful golden eyes. You would only have to say, "Hi Pearl!" and flop! Over she would go.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Premier Cat

Hey! Another flopper! Percy FLOPS in the most precarious places! I have a fence/iron gate thingy in front of a sheer drop near my stairwell. Percy LOVES to flop, stick his head UNDER the thingy and lean over the drop. WAY over the drop. A friend of mine said that cats built low to the ground are at risk for becoming floppers.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Premier Cat

We've had a few floppers. One of Toby's (1995-2007) nicknames was "flop-kitty". None of the kitties we have today do a proper flop. The closest is Shasta, who will run in front of you and then quickly flop onto her back, presenting her tummy and putting her head upside down, waiting to enjoy belly-rubs because she is irresistible. She will sometimes move her head a little bit to watch you with an eye and meow-chatter at you to get your attention if she thinks you may not have seen her.
Our BooBoo kitty has a curious modification to his 'self-destruct-button' and that is, if you poke him in the side, he doesn't flop, instead he will give you head-butts.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Freeway headbutts if I touch him .. it doesnt matter where..

Spike, Scabbers and Freeway have another funny thing ...if I stroke either of them or chat to them they do this funny head down flip over ..head over heels ..I cant quite describe it.

Silly kittys

2 boxers Miki & Monty
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolsclan
Spike, Scabbers and Freeway have another funny thing ...if I stroke either of them or chat to them they do this funny head down flip over ..head over heels ..I cant quite describe it.
Actually, I think you described perfectly the way our Toby would flop, too! It was never flop-onto-his-side, it was always a bad imitation of a cat doing a summersault.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

[quote]Actually, I think you described perfectly the way our Toby would flop, too! It was never flop-onto-his-side, it was always a bad imitation of a cat doing a summersault

Thats it exactly

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page