Going on vacation..... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Going on vacation.....

Hello, well this is my very first post here and i really need urgent help, i am leaving town for 7days and i got a persian cat(3months) and i dont know what to do about him, i read many articles and forums stating its alright to leave a cat with enough food and water and it'll be fine, plus i dont have anyone who could come check on him, i rly love this cat and i dont want any harm for him, i really need some help, i am leaving tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Going on vacation.....

I most definitely would not leave a 3 month old kitten alone in the house for 7 days by himself. I wouldn't leave an adult either, but definitely not a baby, there is so much trouble a kitten can get into.

You'll either need to board him or find yourself a cat sitter really fast. There are many professional pet sitting services out there that will come in daily to feed, water, scoop litter box and play. Most will even take in your mail, water your plants etc. Depends on where you live, but you'd probably be looking at $10-20 a day. Your vet may be able to recommend someone, maybe even one of the techs that works at the office.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Cool Cat

Seven days with no one to check on him is not a safe situation.

Call a pet sitter or board him. Perhaps your vet can board him.
The expense of doing the above is far cheaper than the vet bill from something happening while you were gone.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Premier Cat

Welcome.
First, I feel seven days is too long to leave a cat on its' own without anyone checking on it to be sure its' food and water sources are still available and to clean the litterbox. At the most, the longest we will leave our cats without care is 2 days. When we *do* leave, we set out several heavy and non-tippable bowls of water, several dry-food feeding stations, extra litterboxes with extra litter poured in AND we make certain all doors/windows are firmly closed or firmly propped open to both prevent escape and/or cutting an animal off from food/water/litter supplies. Anything breakable or possibly harmful to the cat is put away or secured.

I would contact your vet and ask if they could recommend a pet-sitter or pay to have the kitty boarded while you are gone. IMO, I do *not* like to board healthy cats out of their homes as I feel they do best remaining in their own home with someone to come check on them daily or at least every-other-day.
Hope you found this information helpful and have a good trip,
heidi =^..^=

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

well, thanks alot for you answers, but i dont live in america or any europena country, i live in egypt, so bet sitters and boarding catteries are not available in this country, and as i said, i defo have no one to check on him, plus i just got him like 2 weeks back, and i certainly dont any vet yet, and i have a very shirt time, i am leaving tomorrow morning (its night over here right now), i did leave out alot of found and alot of water, and all the doors are windows are closed securly except for the kitchen one which is rly high for him just to let in some air, i dunno what else to do, i dont wanna loose this cat.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't have any choices, then confine the kitten to one, very well kitten proofed, room. I would not allow him to roam the entire house. I suspect you're going to come home to a very needy kitten. I assume your weather is extremely warm right now, I hope you have air conditioning that you can leave on for him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

well, i am leaving him just in the living room, and every other room is well locked, and there is not many things that can fall down and break or harm him, nd yes we do have A/C, except we are always advised not to keep it on as the electricity in the building is not too good, but i would leave another window opened if neccesary and the window does have a mesh which can be seculry closed, he has 4 big bowls of water, which has can reach and easily drink from, and 2 full bowls of dry food, i just hope he does not develop some serious problem or hate us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page