Help! Her fleas are worse than ever ;-( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Help! Her fleas are worse than ever ;-(

Hi everyone,

Emily has had fleas for a month or so, we've given her a bath once a week and put her on Frontline since she first got them.

Only two days ago my wife gave her a bath and already she's crawling with them again, there are about 10 on her face alone from what I can see.

Help, what do we do!? I'm worried she'll get diseases from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:33 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Help! Her fleas are worse than ever ;-(

Yuck! I hate fleas!!
How long has it been since you applied the Frontline? If it's been a few weeks I would use a diffent spot treatment.
Although Frontline works great for a lot of people, I didn't have luck with it. I use Advantage and the fleas are always gone almost instantly! Since it came on the market, I've never had to bathe the cats for fleas.

Victoria
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:53 AM
Cool Cat

What have you been bathing her in? Frontline is waterfast but if you're using harsh chemicals (such as flea shampoos), it will make the Frontline ineffecitve.

Fleas can be VERY hard to get rid of. The very basics you need to do is wash all bedding and leave out in sun for a day and apply a flea treatment once a month, all year round (even when you're not seeing fleas!)..

To get rid of a large infestitation, you may need to remove all household pets and flea bomb/spray the entire house (ensuring whatever you use also kills lavae and eggs) and treat the pets with the Frontline etc before bringing them back home.

You need to make sure you are treating all pets in the household, even if some appear not to have the fleas.

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

We bathe her in Water + a tiny bit of Dish Soap. The soap kills the fleas when she's dunked, then we have to wipe down her head and comb her down before drying her, then we apply the Advantage (I originally thought it was Frontline).

Just spent an hour with her trying to do all of this, pray it's successful!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Cat

It sounds like you're doing a pretty thorough job treating her, so it could be your house that's the problem. The adult fleas on your cat are only a VERY small percentage of the total flea population in the house (eggs, larvae, etc--there's a lot of stuff on the flea life-cycle online).

You can flea bomb like love.my.cats said, but I was hesitant to do that myself. I had luck using Borax, which is basically just boric acid--find it in the laundry detergent isle. It's relatively non-toxic (although you don't want anyone eating it ) and CHEAP. Basically you want to vacuum first, then sprinkle the stuff on all the carpet and upholstered furniture, let it sit (the longer the better, but 30mins should do--isolate cat during this process), and finally vaccuum a few times to make sure you get it all up.

When vacuming make sure to get underneath furniture, in cracks and crevices, all the corners, closets, etc--basically everywhere. Immediately afterward seal the vacuum bag and either dispose of it or stick it the freezer.

Also, obviously, you must wash all bedding and laundry in HOT water. And, unfortunately, the process should be repeated in another two weeks or so.

If you can't tell, I really hate fleas. Good luck!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Jr. Cat

To get rid of a bad flea infestation you need to treat your pet then treat your home and yard. Seems like you are doing a good job of getting them off her. I have tried the thing with bathing my dog with dawn and it does kill the adult fleas pretty well, i believe you can also use vinegar and it will kill him. I know how it is to have a bad flea problem and i wish you the best of luck.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 12:52 PM

not sure if this will help but here is a section on cat fleas http://www.lovingyourpet.co.uk/cats/.../health/fleas/ with advice and tips and information.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 04:35 PM

I can tell you from expierience I have ran into fleas that seem to be immune to Frontline. I suggest Advantage which can be used on dogs and cats. I have yet to have a problem controlling fleas with Advantage.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Premier Cat

I had really good luck with Revolution. It was harder to apply than Advantage, because the tube contains so much, but it works well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page