Carson update - poor kitten! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Carson update - poor kitten!

I took Carson in vaccines tonight. I decided I wanted her foot radiographed because she still limps. One vet saw her the night she came in, then another saw her the following week when I was concerned that the foot was still very firmly swollen - she said it was nothing to worry about and to give her some time... plus radiographs of such tiny bones aren't usually helpful.

Same vet tonight so she was familiar with Carson already. I told her she still limps and its still very hard. She started to say it needs some time, then stopped mid-sentence when she felt it. Decided the radiographs were a good idea.

My poor baby kitten has been walking (and running, jumping, climbing...) on a foot of broken toes! All of them are broken. One of the most weight bearing seems the most intact, which is good. There's not much that can be done. They are healing, just not healing together well. She did go so far as to say even if we had known the first night she came in there probably wouldn't have been a major change even if we splinted. So time, time and more time will tell how she heals. She didn't even think it would be worth taking more radiographs several months down the road, but I think I will just to see how they ended up healing.

Poor kitten

Oh, and based on her teeth she's more like 16 weeks rather than 12... so she's almost a big girl! I'll take her to my old vet in a couple of weeks for her rabies vaccine (and see if any of them have opinions on the foot) and she'll be spayed soon. I was going to get her done at the humane society rather than deal with the weird system we have at work, but now I almost wonder if it might be worth trying to do any sort of manipulation of the broken toes while she's under anesthesia... probably not since they're already healing. But still a thought.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 02:52 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Carson update - poor kitten!

Ooooh, poor kitty! ...and you for worrying over her...

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Ok, now I'm the worst cat mom ever

Carson's been a little down today from the vaccine yesterday. She didn't eat (which isn't completely a shock) and has been hiding all morning. I found her upstairs under my brother's bed. She came out, purred a lot and loved on me some but felt very warm. So I took her into the bathroom to take her temperature. In true tortie fashion, she put up a fight.

So I gently wrapped her in a towel and tried again. Finally got a reading of a little over 103. So at least I know that's why she was feeling bad.

However, she didn't stop the crying and screaming. Brought her out into the living room and set her down... still very vocal she moved a little.

And won't put ANY weight on her foot. So I think in the process of me trying to take her temperature because I was worried she had a really bad post-vaccine fever, I managed to re-break her foot.

I of course have been crying since. She's quieted down, but is mostly just sitting in one spot. I gave her a dose of homeopathic pain medication I have for Brody and will actually try to leave her alone for the rest of the afternoon rather than bother her any more. Then I will take her to work and see if they want to bandage it to keep her comfortable for a few days.

*she just trotted off after Skylar, but still on three legs*

I've never felt so guilty

Jessie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, don't feel too bad.
I actually think it is pretty common for health-care professionals to overlook health concerns in their own family just because they deal with complaints all day and sort of expect their family members to maybe 'mug' for more attention. I know that falls more for people, but I would expect it could happen for pets, too. Not so much them faking something for attention, but for us to overlook small-things because we are used to seeing/dealing with big-things all day.

I also wonder if wrapping her foot could at least help immobilize her foot to allow healing. In fact, I think I would insist on it. I adopted a mini stallion who had previously had a broken hind leg and his people didn't take him to the vet for a cast. It sickens me to wonder how many times he re-broke it in just a non-supportive standing wrap before it finally healed.
His leg was crooked. It was spiral broken just above his ankle and when it healed, his entire ankle and hoof pointed out to the side. He walked on the side of that hoof, never the bottom.
Put your hands palms-together, fingertips pointing towards both elbows. Lower your elbows a few inches and see how the fingertips now point *up* and over the formerly straight plane? That is how this poor horses' leg healed. I could see/feel those bone points under his skin. I *know* if they had casted/pinned/screwed it, his leg could have healed straight. It makes me so angry to think of the suffering he went through.
So, if you have a splint put on Carson, even for just a few weeks, it would give her uninterrupted time to heal without having to worry about re-breaks from activity.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I wanted to take x-rays a week after I brought her in, but felt like I was being overly worried about nothing when I was told for the second time to give her some time.

The vet seems to think the fact that she is walking on it and 'rebreaking" it often might help them realign a little better...

And now that I've had two good cries over the fact that I reinjured her leg today, she's getting around MUCH better, almost normally (well, normally for her... how she was walking like yesterday). I went in to check on her a while ago and she immediately started purring, grabbed my hand with BOTH feet and covered me with kisses

Then my mom came home, looked at the radiographs and heard my horrible story, picked her up and carried her around for a while. She set her down, and she immediately jumped on top of Skylar and started to chew on her head. I guess I didn't do all that much damage... I think she's going to make it.

I do think I'll bring her in tonight either way. I hate the thought of knocking her out to put a splint on, but there's no way it'll be possible with her awake. Maybe I'll just try to arrange to have her spayed Monday (I hate that she's still so young though!) and do it then...

Jessie

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

she stayed home tonight as she was doing much better by the time I left.

Talked to the doctor and she thinks the split would do more harm than good at this point. Keeping her ON the foot as much as possible is the best thing for her. Encouraging her to use it more rather than less.

So at this point, I am in no rush for the spay (which is good, because I really hated to put her under so soon!) and will see how she's doing in about a month or so.

On a much happier note, I came home from work a short time ago. She had just jumped onto a chair to pester her big sister and as soon as she realized I was behind her, lit up and began purring up a storm... she's been racing me up and down the hallway as I went from bedroom/bathroom to kitchen. And she ate all of her dinner without any coaxing and has been running laps around the room since.

Best of all, she's not normally cuddly with me. She likes the attention, but will really only lay on and sleep on my mom. She just crawled up on my chest, gave me lots of kisses and settled down to sleep

Jessie

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 02:44 AM
Premier Cat

Aw! Definitely sounds like she is feeling better. ...and in thinking about it, I can see the benefit of not splinting, because if she uses her foot, the bones will heal in a manner that is useful to her. If it were splinted and allowed to heal in a static setting, it could cause her problems with use.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page