Cat Flu Advice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
rav

Cat Flu Advice

Hi guys & girls,

I went down to my local RSPCA branch this afternoon as I have been thinking about getting another cat for a while now. My last cat was several years ago when I was a teenager and since I've been away from home for a few years getting another cat wasn't really an option.

Getting back to the question and advice I wanted, so looking around the shelter I feel for this 10month beautiful gingerish named Henry. I had a little play with him and he was so friendly and loving, I wanted to take him away right away. I started speaking to the lady there and she informed me that Henry has had cat flu in the type of the feline herpes virus. Now he has been cured of this but is apparently a carrier of the virus. She also mentioned that Henry is best as the only cat in the house as he had past difficulties (bullying by other cats if i recall) and with no small children. I am good with both these as there are no small children and no pets in my household. The problem that came to mind is that there are a fair number of cats in and around my street. The lady went on and said when Henry is stressed certain symptoms might occur again and he could potentially pass it on (but the other cats should be vaccinated right?).

So, I just wanted some advice. Should this stop me from rehoming Henry? Could he potentially cause any problems to myself, my family or any other cats?

Thanks in advance for any advice you maybe able to give.

Rav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Tom Cat

Re: Cat Flu Advice

I solution would be to adopt him but keep as an indoor only cat.

That way he won't deal with the stresses associated with being and indoor/outdoor cat and you don't have to worry about other cats. Cats who go outside have an increased chance of being injured or becoming sick which will aggrevate the cat's current condition. I think he could be a perfectly healthy and happy indoor cat.

I am not sure if there is a vaccine, someone else here might know.

Kind regards,
Brian
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Banned

I agree. Keep him as an indoor only kitty. As you mention the RSPCA, I am assuming you are from the UK where its the norm to let cats out - but they can live as indoor only kitties quite happily as long as you give them lots of exciting things to do.

Do you have a garden? Perhaps you can make that cat-proof and let him out that way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
rav

thanks for your advice so far guys..

I do have a garden yes. I live in a semi-detached house so there wont be nothing stopping him from jumping over the wall(s) and into the streets? Indoor only maybe an option because he was certainly a real beaut....
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Banned

There are ways to cat proof your garden so that he cant get out - but shop around as many are quite expensive. You could probably do it yourself if you are DIY inclined.

There are also cat enclosures around that perhaps you would like to consider. But I wouldn't sweat it. Cats can be very happy as indoor only kitties - but if you go down that route, please ensure that you make your kitties environment 'interesting' for him ... I have an article around somewhere with tips if you would me to PM it to you.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Cat

I'd say go for it, though keeping him indoors (or in an enclosure outside) is probably a good idea. Our Othello has the feline herpes virus. He's had a couple episodes of eye discharge (treated with antibiotic ointment) and one full-on sneezy, lethargic, stuffy nose episode (treated with oral antibiotics and an L-Lysine amino acid supplement in his food), but he hasn't had a flare-up at all since November, and those earlier issues have each been one quick trip to the vet and some pretty easy home treatment. Our vet told us that, at least here in the U.S., "pretty much all those shelter kitties" have been exposed to the feline herpes/upper respiratory infection virus, kinda like how all the kids at day care share germs. The virus really hasn't been a big deal for us. (And humans can't get the virus from cats, so no worries there.)

ETA: Our vet made that comment because we got two unacquainted cats at once from the same shelter (about 18 months ago), the shelter said Othello might have an upper respiratory infection and we should keep them separated until the vet checks them out, but the vet wasn't too concerned because he figured Desdemona had probably been exposed by that point anyway. Desi's had one course of antibiotic ointment for eye discharge but has otherwise been fine; maybe her immune system is just a little stronger than Othello's. Who knows.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
rav

thanks for the advice guys...I'll head back to the re homing center and have a bit more of a chat with those guys; but I think i'll go for henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page