Should I adopt a de-clawed cat or a cat with claws? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Should I adopt a de-clawed cat or a cat with claws?

I could be adopting a cat (adult) tomorrow. I've been visiting the shelter for a while, getting to know the felines up for adoption. I've narrowed down two particular kitties that I like, but the main difference between them is that one is four-foot de-clawed and a little overweight, and the other is not and is not overweight.

Both cats are sweet lap cats, but the clawed cat is more independent. When I play with him, he will not interact with me. He has a tail too (the other one doesn't; he's a manx) The de-clawed one is very affectionate and loves rubbing against me. I understand there are special needs and possible risks that come with owning an overweight/de-clawed cat, and I am willing to take it to the vet should the need arise.

However, I wish to have some expert opinion from cat owners who have cats (both clawed and declawed).

Additional Info:

Btw, I am looking for an indoor cat. If I get the clawed kitty, I will have to get SoftPaws or a scratching post (but not all cats use those). Adopting both is out of option because it would cost too much, as much as I would love having both of them.

The clawed cat is not neutered, while the de-clawed cat is neutered, so that is another vital piece of information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Should I adopt a de-clawed cat or a cat with claws?

The weight issue is relatively easily solved by a proper diet of high quality canned food in an appropriate quantity (we would need to know how much the cat weighs and how much she/he needs to lose to suggest portion sizes).

Declawed cats have several possible issues....biting (which it doesn't sound like a problem from your description of her personality), litterbox problems...the litter may cause their feet discomfort..this often becomes a problem later in life as they can develop arthritis is their feet. Tailless cats may also develop issues eliminating, the mutation can include nerve damage that worsens over time. So those are all things you have to consider. You will have to be very careful that this kitty doesn't get out as having no claws will leave him very vulnerable.

On the other hand, you would have to neuter the clawed cat, so that would be an immediate cash outlay.

You post sounds like you would really like the declawed/tailless cat, but are worried about the potential issues. So I'll say this...go with your heart, take the kitty that tugs at you. If it's the declawed cat, since it sounds like money may be an ongoing concern for you, start a kitty savings account. This way you always have cash on hand for any problems that may crop up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Kitten

I agree with doodle. You can help your cat loose the weight. Go with the cat that best matches your personality and desires. All pets require an investment of some sort.

Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Cool Cat

I can't advise you, but I can give you an idea of what I might consider. I'd tend to go with the one that's least likely to be adopted. The one that most needs a good, loving home.

JusJim

JusJim
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:05 PM

My parents made my kitty get declawed when we got new furniture. But it seems like maybe the Manx likes you.... If I were you I would get the declawed Manx.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Premier Cat

I've adopted two declawed kitties now, and they had almost completely opposite personalities. The first declawed one did have litterbox issues and was somewhat of a biter; the second declawed one has neither of those issues and is a complete purring lovebug. The bigger difference between the two, I think, is their sex. The first was a girl, the second a boy.

Declawing is such an emotional topic. The way I felt about it was this -- I would never have a cat declawed. But if there's a shelter cat who's already declawed, don't they deserve a home too? Maybe I'll derive some benefit from their being declawed; maybe we'll have extra challenges. But they deserve a home too.

Holly and Murphy
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Cat Addict

My cat Charlie came to us declawed both front and back. So far he has had no issues. (He is nine years old and we have had him for four years.) He is a very sweet kitty, never bites and has no litterbox problems.

Please let us know which cat you decide on. I have heard that overweight cats sometimes don't get adopted easily.
Pictures would be great also.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Cool Cat

Sounds like you are leaning towards the chubby declawed one, and I think you're totally right to adopt that one. I'd be worried that someone else might adopt him and put him outside! Any cat can have problems, and even if the one with claws is the picture of health you never know what might come up. (My two two-year olds have needed $2700 worth of vet care since December, and they certainly didn't look like they would have stupidity problems when I got them!)

Also, kudos to you for adopting an adult cat - they're much harder to adopt out than kittens, so they really need people like you!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it, but it seems I've acted too late....the one declawed cat (his name is Horatio) that I fell in love with was snatched up by someone else. I was working to earn enough money to pay his adoption fee ($80) and when I finally got enough cash, I checked on the website and his name was removed. The saddest part was that his name was still there the day before.

All that work for nothing... I'm really depressed right now... I've never worked so hard before and my motivation that kept me going now belongs to someone else... My only consolation is that he (hopefully) has a good home now since he's been at the shelter since November of last year. :sniff: He was truly one-of-a-kind; he's the only cat I've seen who was so affectionate to the point where he wouldn't leave you alone and he loves to rub against you.

I thought that maybe he wouldn't be adopted immediately because he looked slightly overweight and he is tailless (I know some ppl like their cats to have tails and be healthy). Apparently I'm wrong... I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's almost as if he died or something (even though he didn't). I adored him, and I worked my behind off to pay for his fee but it felt as if all I did was for naught. I couldn't help but resent whoever beat me to the punch just a little, even though they have no idea of what they did. They must have fallen for that cat just as I did, only they had the money on hand...

Sorry about the rant...I'm just so bummed right now...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Oh boy, my heart dropped when I read this...a friend of mine just adopted a new kitty yesterday and his name is Horatio. But then I realized it wasn't the same cat, her's has a tail and isn't declawed. Whew!

Sometimes things happen for the best. I'm sure there's a kitty out there with your name on it. Just give it some time and now that you have the money saved up, you won't need to wait when you connect with the next one.

In the meantime, keep saving, this way you have a nice stash in place for vet bills and other unexpected expenses. Because they will happen. Every new adoptee should be taken to the vet for a check up within a week. And, in my experience, most cats end up at the vet a second time within 4-6 weeks of adoption for some other issue that pops up.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page