Favorite free cat toy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Favorite free cat toy

So I'm sitting here...reading CF and enjoying not being at work and I hear this odd noise behind me. "Shhhhiiiingggg, shink, shiiinnnnkk... ting" I look around and Doran has found a new toy. His daddy left a beer bottle cap on the table and it got stole'd. He has been playing with this beer cap for a good 1/2 hour...picking it up and mewing, dropping it and listening to the fun noise, pushing it around on the hard wood, picking it up and switching to the laminate...trying to bury it in the rugs...ect.

All this free kitty joy got me thinking about how many toys they like that I don't pay for, and I began wondering why on earth I buy cat toys... And so, a list of favorite free toys.

While I have grouped mine by cats you may use any organizational format that you like, or none at all.

Jitzu - Wine corks...she loves them. My little alcoholic. Also...Torri, but I'm not so much a fan of that. The only thing she has every carried around the house, she mewed and loved it. (keep in mind this is the cat who crawls into the recycle bin after a party and licks the bottles...ew, kitty beer breath)

Torri - Tail Feathers from Dexter, a blue and yellow macaw that I clean the cage of every week. When he molts she gets a new toy. She cuddle it, throws and catches it, pulls it onto the bed and sleeps with it...so cute!
She also likes hair elastics, and her daddy's pen tips (for his diabetic insulin pens). We remove these things from a pile on the bed at least twice a day...she puts them on the bed then cuddles with them while napping. Adorable.

Doran - ...beer bottle cap. As explained above. Also he stole a clothing tag and played with it for quite a while. It kicked his bum.

Muffin - Loves the milk rings. LOVES them...as in gets excited when I get ceral/open the fridge/use milk in anything - loves them. He'll play fetch with them for hours, and it's sooo cute. He also likes bits of fluff on the floor, and pretty well anything he can move. Especially my toys that he hijacked!
One of MY favorite free kitty toys is a cereal box. I unfold the top and bottom when there's no more cereal and put it on the floor. Muffin likes to hide his head in it with his bum sticking out, he also likes to dive into them from across the kitchen...hilarious!

So, what free toys do your kitties love?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:44 AM
Senior Cat

Re: Favorite free cat toy

Mine love feathers... .. the twins will bring the goose feathers in from outside and play with them for hours.

Tyson plays with anything , his favourite being the metal food dishes I use for my parrots , he waits until I put them on a counter for cleaning and swats them on to the floor and then swats them around the house , he also like playing with his food dish .. Tyson is a bit strange

An empty cardboard box fillled with rolled up newspaper provides hours of entertainment.

if its raining and all the cats are inside I provide a toilet roll , I dont mind cleaning up the mess its keeps them out of my hair

My curtains , bookshelves ,fishtank ,remote ,glasses, and my cellphone are the illegal toys they love . Oh the twins love to play with my silly old boxer , Monty.

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

The twins love emory boards and pens. They love knocking anything off anything. Especially if I'm looking right at them. Tellling them 'no' to their faces.

Cali loves the milk rings. She'll carry one around like it's her baby.

If I happen to leave a roll of paper towels around, Cleo will wrap her whole body around it, then demolish it.

They love the strip you tear off packages of deli meat or other packages.

All four girls LOVE crawling inside an empty 24-pack box of sodas. They love any box, any size. Cinderella will stick her head in an empty Kleenex box and think she's hiding. Cali got one stuck on her head recently.

And you know about the bird Charlee swiped from under the front door. But she didn't kill it. She may have licked it to death if I hadn't found it, though.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Tom Cat

My boys both LOVE cardboard boxes. I think we have 10 boxes spread all over the place here. I put blankets in half of them so that they can sleep in them. But I suspect them to enjoy more the boxes that don't have a blanket in them... silly boys!

Patch loves playing with leaves that we bring from outside, with anything looking like a piece of cardboard and with everything that is forbidden. He loves playing with pencils but only when I'm using them.

Treize usually plays with "real" toys like stuffed mice, stuffed fish, etc. He's the "fancy" one! lol
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 06:14 PM

Haha mine use to play with potatoes all the time! I'd wake up at night to the sound of it rolling in the kitchen. She also like yarn and attacking bugs that get in the house....I will keep my eyes peeled for more free toys
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:11 AM

badminton shuttlecocks (feathered not plastic) you can find used ones lying around the courts at your local gym
catnip rolled up into an Al-foil ball
practice golf balls - the hollow plastic ones with holes
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Cat Addict

After seeing some posts here about the Turbo Track I went out and got one for my cats yesterday. They do love it, but after a while we saw Scottie trying to stuff his 14# body into the box it came in. They always like the box more then the toys!

This morning Orlando was having a great time with the stem of a cherry that had fallen on the floor. He is usually not a very active cat so it was particularly funny to see him leaping into the air and pouncing on that little stem. He was even picking it up with his teeth and tossing it into the air.

Sue

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Maggie loves anything paper....wad up a ball of wrapping paper and she'll be happy for a long time. She does the same thing that Cleo does with paper towels or toilet paper (in fact she did it yesterday). She'll chew post it notes or envelopes into a sodden mess.

Holly has been stealing popsicle sticks lately. She also likes to tear paper. And she'll play hockey with kibbles of dry food.

Kobi's favorite free toys are Maggie and Holly. He uses them as punching bags. They're not amused.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:48 AM

and my cat likes: hair-pins, walnuts and plastic bottle
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Premier Cat

Do we have any Q-Tip thieves here? Murphy goes Q-Tip diving in my waste basket, and I find them under the couch sometime later.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page