My poor Nito - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
My poor Nito

I'm so angry right now, I don't even know where to start.

I was camping this weekend, and so Nito was being babysat by my parents. Now, when I'm at their house I do let Nito go out into the garden with supervision. I prefer that he has a leash on, but he hates it so usually he doesn't wear one. I make him go inside when I go inside. I tell my mom not to let him out alone, but she's the sort of person who will not hear anything I say on the matter and will end up letting him out without proper supervision against my wishes. He always comes back. He always wears his collar and ID, and he has a microchip. My neighborhood is a very safe place, or so I thought...

So Nito got out this afternoon. My mom wasn't paying attention and left the screen door open just a crack. Well, he can open it, and so he let himself on out and went for a stroll. Mom was in the garden and he went out there to see what was up and to chase the squirrels and rabbits that are out there. My mom didn't think he was doing any harm, and so she went to refill the watering can. By the time she got back he was no where to be found. She expected he was just in a bush so she paid it no mind. But an hour went by and no Nito.

So she went out looking for him. Luckily he's a loud boy, and he lets us know when he's in trouble. Sure enough, she hears him yapping an guess where he is...

My neighbors had freaking trapped him! He was in a cage, and not only that, but he was on their porch, with a tarp over the cage like they were trying to hide him. Worst of all, is Nito seems harmed from the whole ordeal. His eye is a little swollen and his shoulder is tender as if they had roughed him up when they caught him. The tuna they used to lure him in had maggots in it. I don't know what they were getting at by doing what they did. They KNOW he's our cat. He was wearing his tags. They've seen him with us many times before. I've even been out there and told that lady that he's my cat and to shoo him off if he wanders over there and bothers her. And we've told her, by all means, that if our cats bother her to let us know and we will do everything we can to fix it. They've never mentioned anything about being annoyed by our cats walking through their yard.

It breaks my heart to think of poor Nito in that cage. Scared, upset, lost, and then to get abused and treated so poorly (supposedly). It makes to sick to think of what could have happened had my mom not found him in time.

She took the whole cage set up and kept it for now. She's going over there tomorrow to give their cage back and find out just what the heck they were getting at by trapping my cat. Maybe it was a misunderstanding. Maybe something more is going on here, but believe me- if we find any proof that they hurt Nito, we will be getting higher authorities involved. I'm just so mad and shook up about this whole thing...

Gah. It was a close call, and I feel very lucky that my Mom found him in time. Send some prayers to Nito because he's not feeling too hot right now. We'll be heading to the vet for a check up tomorrow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Re: My poor Nito

OMG! I'd be furious! What were they thinking? And what's up with the tarp?!??? Especially if they knew the kitty????

I hope Nito is okay and didn't get anything inside him from that gross tuna.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

Yea. These neighbors have always been foul. They once sprayed plant killer on our garden because our strawberry patch threw out some runners that crossed the property line. My family was like, 'really? REALLY?'. They've always been like that. Worried about where a stupid property line ends even though it's in a total bushy overgrown useless area of yard that no one ever even goes near (besides my family with our garden out there). Complaining when the neighbor kids play basketball in their driveway. Chasing kids out of thier yard. And what they planned to do with Nito... it makes me sick to even think about. I'm VERY furious, but I'm trying my hardest to give them the benefit of the doubt. I have half a mind to break the spring mechaninism on the cage so it's useless to them before my mom gives it back, but I don't want to play those sort of games.

Yea, the tuna was nasty and Nito seems a bit under the weather. I bet his poor tummy is just hurting him right now. I just hope that the vets don't find something seriously wrong with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:46 AM
Premier Cat

Awe, poor Nito. That's terrible!
Is there any way you can cat proof your yard so it never happens again? I don't think I would trust those neighbors at all after this incident. What on Earth were they up to?!

Just read your last post about the neighbors. I'm wondering if it might be prudent to bring him (and the tuna) to the vet now. Could they have put something in the tuna?? Don't want to panic but...do you think they are capable?

Victoria
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

I'm glad Nito was loud and you heard him. Poor little guy.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:49 AM

Wow I would be MAD! I am sorry about poor little innocent Nito, I hope he gets better... Prayers to him ......
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Premier Cat

Poor Nito! He had to be so scared, and now to not feel well has to make it all worse. I agree with Nanook that they may have put something in the tuna, and to keep a close eye on Nito.

((HUGS)) to you also.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Kitten

Wow.... setting up a trap like that sounds shady as heck. It COULD have been to catch some other kind of animal that may have been coming around their house ( Judging from their other actions I doubt this is the case, but maybe). But covering your cat up with a tarp after they recognized him/ignored his collar and identification is ridiculously creepy, unless it was somehow part of the trap. I don't know how likely that would be. Really creepy neighbors, sorry to hear about this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Since the tuna was full of maggots, that means it was out at least 2-3 days. Which means it had to be BAD in a big way. If he's not feeling right this morning I recommend a vet visit immediately.

I know this goes against all emotional logic, but you have no legal recourse, your cat was allowed to roam free and entered their property. In fact you may be the one afoul of the law if there are nuisance laws for cats in your area. And it was illegal for your mother to go on their property and remove the trap, even though your cat was in it. Now that you know what these neighbors are capable of, keep the cats in or find a better way to contain them in your yard.

And your neighbor may not have been trying to catch cats, maybe they're having a raccoon problem or something else...

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Kitten

Wow. I would be livid. I don't know that I would have kept my cool. And I certainly know I would have said something to them.

They could have been trying to capture another animal but the fact that they set the cage on the porch, covered and didn't communicate with you or your mother that Nito was there says a lot.

I would definitely take Nito and the tuna to the vet.

ughh. people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page