leaving for 2months - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

leaving for 2months

Hi
first post so please be gentle

we're going on our honeymoon for 2 months and will be leaving our 3yr old neutered ginger boy behind.
Normally, we let him out all day and keep him inside at night. When we are away he will be 100% outside. The neighbour has agreed to feed him but will not let him inside her house.
We don't like the idea of him locked up in a cattery but are worried that he might turn feral in the 2 months of freedom.
He is tolerant of other cats and will not start fights but will defend himself if provoked. He gets along very well with the neighbour's cats. I've only seen him fight with stray cats
Does anyone have experience with this?
will he still be the same cat when we get back?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:55 AM

Re: leaving for 2months

I suggest maybe posting this in the feral cat section...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 04:02 AM
Premier Cat

Hi and welcome!
I would absolutely not leave my cat outside, virtually unattended for two months. Is there anyway your neighbor can take him into her place while you're away? Or, at least, keep him in your place and visit him daily? Have you considered a pet/house sitter? If none of the above are options, I think boarding him is probably better than leaving him out. It's just too long for him to be left on his own. Aside from illnesses or injuries that might go unattended, he could think he is abandoned and take off.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Wow!

First, welcome!

Second, a two-month honeymoon!!! Holy crap! Some marriages don't last that long! Lucky you!!!

I wouldn't leave my kitty unattended for any amount of time, never mind two months. I'm guessing you're in England or someplace that it's normal to have outside kitties and pet sitters aren't abundant. It's sad that Max gets along with the neighbor's cat and yet she won't let him inside while you're gone.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

we're arranging for a housesitter 3 days a week.
yes , it's quite normal to have the cats roam outside here
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Do you have a cat door so Max can come and go while you're gone? Because if so, with someone coming by to check on Max three times a week, that may work. I'd still be freaking out, but I don't have outdoor kitties (too dangerous here).

Australia is the #1 reason I got a passport. Haven't made it there yet, though.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

there is a cat door that leads to the laundry. I think I will give him access to the laundry only and shut the rest of the house off.

we're actually headed your way for our honeymoon, L.A then Canada
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Too bad you couldn't drop him off, then pick him up on the way home.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthegingercat
...We don't like the idea of him locked up in a cattery but are worried that he might turn feral in the 2 months of freedom....
I'd hope that you would think this through again...

"Locked up" versus "freedom" is certainly one way of looking at this.

It can also reasonably be seen as "kept safe" versus "abandoned"...

Now, your only thought/concern is whether/not he "may turn ferral" in the two months he would be on his own. My thoughts/concerns are whether/not he will even survive on his own, what will happen if he becomes ill, what will happen if he's injured by another animal/in an accident.....all of the real dangers that domesticated cats are not supposed to be subject to.........

Look......if you're insistant on just leaving him like this, at least consider bringing him to a cat rescue organization where he will be looked after. At least then, your only "worry" might be whether/not anyone has adopted him before your expected return date.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthegingercat
...We don't like the idea of him locked up in a cattery but are worried that he might turn feral in the 2 months of freedom....
I'd hope that you would think this through again...

"Locked up" versus "freedom" is certainly one way of looking at this.

It can also reasonably be seen as "kept safe" versus "abandoned"...

Now, your only thought/concern is whether/not he "may turn ferral" in the two months he would be on his own. My thoughts/concerns are whether/not he will even survive on his own, what will happen if he becomes ill, what will happen if he's injured by another animal/in an accident.....all of the real dangers that domesticated cats are not supposed to be subject to.........

Look......if you're insistant on just leaving him like this, at least consider bringing him to a cat rescue organization where he will be looked after. At least then, your only "worry" might be whether/not anyone has adopted him before your expected return date.
is your cat a 100% indoor cat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page