whats wrong with my kitten

they were bron same day same mom same dad why is one 1/4th the size

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:08 AM

Re: whats wrong with my kitten

It's mother nature unfortunately

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runt

In a group of animals (usually a litter of animals born in multiple births), a runt is a member which is smaller and/or weaker than the others.[1] Due to its small size, a runt in a litter faces obvious disadvantages, including difficulties with competing with its siblings for survival and possible rejection from its mother. Therefore, in the wild, a runt is less likely to survive infancy. Rellington Vagner was one of the first biologists to study this phenomenon in his work "Parental-Offspring Relations". A runt may be a parent's way of 'hedging its bets' if food is plentiful, it gets an extra offspring, if not, it lets it die having only invested little in it in the first place. This may generate parent-offspring conflict.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Premier Cat

Have you taken the litter and mother to the vet for an examination?
I suppose there is a chance the kitten is a dwarf, which can affect a cat all its' life and pose great challenges for it as its' body grows. I had an orphan kitten who did not grow in size with the rest of his litter-mates, he had constant diarrhea we (vet and I) were unable to control and he eventually had to be humanely euthed when he began to have seizures. The vet said his small size was due to his diarrhea; his nourishment was running through his digestive tract so fast, he was getting no nutrition from it, and was therefore stunted in his growth.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

no not yet but its has alot of energy and is walking before all of the other kittens so i think hes a fighter
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

I've always had a soft spot for runts. Cali was the runt of her litter, not expected to make it, but she wasn't that much smaller! He's tiny! (and adorable)

Hope the little guy stays strong.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Huyke
...i think hes a fighter
Well, that is good to hear!

I still think a vet visit would be a good idea, but at the very least, I think it would be an even better idea to have your female cat spayed so she does not pass on these defective genetics. There is a very good chance the other 'normal' kittens are now carriers, too. So all of those kittens should also be spayed/neutered. AND...if the male cat who sired this litter can be neutered, he should be, too. He is also spreading his defective genes among the cat population.
heidi =^..^=

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Cool Cat

A vet visit is a very good idea.

Have you thought about a supplemental feeding once a day? The kitten still needs nurishment from mom, but the extra calories from an extra feeding may jump-start his growth.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

[quote=Heidi n Q]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Carlos_Huyke":tucht0jo
...i think hes a fighter
Well, that is good to hear!

I still think a vet visit would be a good idea, but at the very least, I think it would be an even better idea to have your female cat spayed so she does not pass on these defective genetics. There is a very good chance the other 'normal' kittens are now carriers, too. So all of those kittens should also be spayed/neutered. AND...if the male cat who sired this litter can be neutered, he should be, too. He is also spreading his defective genes among the cat population.
heidi =^..^=[/quote:tucht0jo]

Yhea this is her second litter she had 6 all gray first and another 6,4 gray 2 black this time and the first runt she has had we were going to get her spayed had an appoitment and evrything 2 days before she got out and as i was looking for her saw her haveing fun with another cat if you get what i mean ill take her to a vet in a week or two thanks for the advice.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 4
A vet visit is a very good idea.

Have you thought about a supplemental feeding once a day? The kitten still needs nurishment from mom, but the extra calories from an extra feeding may jump-start his growth.
thing is im on vacation know my mom is takeing care of them i will be back in a week and take him/her to the vet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page