Suggestions for apathetic cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Suggestions for apathetic cat

I am fostering a three year old cat for my local animal rescue operation. I don't know too much about her past, except that she was surrendered to the animal shelter. She's been at my apartment for about 3 weeks now, and I can't find anything that will interest her. Ball of tissue paper--no go. Laser pointer--flopped. String--no interest. Dried catnip--no response. She just sort of stares at the toy for a little while and then looks elsewhere. I did manage to get her attention for a short while with a bit of uncooked spaghetti (she tried to chomp on it), but that's about it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm a new cat owner and don't have too much experience. She otherwise has a good appetite, isn't afraid of me, and goes to the bathroom properly. On the other hand, she only approaches me when she is hungry, and isn't particularly fond of being petted (most of the time she gets up and walks away). She spends most of her day lying in my kitchen. If I can find something that she can get excited about it would be easier to adopt her out. I just don't want to spend a lot of money on toys that she won't use.

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Suggestions for apathetic cat

Cinderella is kind of like that. Didn't have a very good first four years, never really learned to play. She keeps to herself, but comes to me when she wants attention. Or yowls from her living room. She does LOVE boxes, but that's not a toy. The only thing that gets her going when she's in the mood is the wand end of Da Bird. Any stick, really. I run it along the rug in an arc motion and she goes crazy!

Your foster kitty would probably be a good cat for someone who would like a cat's company, but not a trouble-making little kitty.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Cool Cat

There's a cat lives across the alley who comes to visit me and hang out while I'm in the garden. He will sometimes even meet me when I'm coming home, and that means crossing the alley and making his way through the house lot. Before I got Zenobi, I tried to get him to play. He looked at me as though he thought I'd gone crazy. I guess some cats are just like that.

JusJim

JusJim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Cat Addict

After a few weeks she could still be intimidated.

My Siamese Mia loves to play. My Vet gives out toys that lok like little pipe cleaners that she has a blast with. I barely have to get involved.

My Ragdoll is at the other end of the spectrum. She used to play a bit but since she's gained weight she mostly loves to sleep and be petted. Part of that is the breed. Some people like laid back cats.

Both of them figured out the laser pointer and just look at my hand when I use it.

Take a look at the Raggie during the play session in this video.

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/cats ... gdoll.html

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

The twins used to go wild over the laser light, but they quickly learned how it worked, so they began going after my hand.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page