Should I get another kitty? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Should I get another kitty?

I just moved into my first house a couple months ago with my boyfriend and my rescue cat Jaxon who is now 11 months old. Jaxon got along with my parents 3 other cats and beagle, but he was raised around all of them. He is also very sweet and affectionate towards my boyfriend and I who raised him. He is cautious of strangers and people he doesn't know. Recently I added a 3 month old Papillon to our family and Jaxon DOES NOT like him at all. The second day I brought Oliver home I thought Jaxon was locked in one of the rooms...he wasn't. When he walked out into the living room Oliver ran over towards him wanting to play and Jaxon swated at him and put a small hole through his ear. I felt so awful... I had never seen Jaxon get upset or be so "mean" before. His ears were flat on his head and he just hissed and attempted to pounce on Oliver than ran away. I think he was attacking more out of fear than anything. I have been keeping them separated for about 2 weeks now and I have been letting Jaxon out near Oliver while supervised. He seems to be getting used to him and he likes to watch and observe Oliver from up high on the couch. I still do not let Oliver get to close because if Jaxon felt threatened I'm sure he would swat at him again.

Now I was looking on petfinder the other day and came across a male siamese mix kitten that is about 3 months (same age as my puppy) I am interested in adopting him so I filled out the questionaire and emailed his foster mom who said she could come out to my house this sunday to do a home inspection and see if he gets along with my puppy. I really want another cat and want to get one before Jaxon gets too much older. I'm hoping he's still young enough to accept another kitten into our household. I was also hoping that maybe Oliver would become friends with a new kitten if they grow up together.

I guess my question is do you guys think it will traumatize Jaxon? as he was just recently brought to a new house, and introduced to a new puppy that he is just now getting use to. I'm just looking for others opinions here. Also the kitten I am interested in is also a male... do you think that will make problems worse than if I were to adopt a female kitten? I have always been partial to male cats they seem to be more playful and have personalities more to my liking. That could be just from my experience...not to be sexist or anything

Here is a link to "Pee Wee" the kitten I am interested in adopting:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=14295832
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Should I get another kitty?

No, I don't think this is the time for another cat. Let the Jaxon/Oliver introduction settle out. Jaxon has had several big changes in the course of a couple months....new house, new guy in the house full time, losing his old friends, new dog. To be honest you're lucky you haven't seen any behavioral issues so far. I wouldn't push it again so soon. I'd let him get fully comfortable with Oliver and then give him at least 6 more months before adding another cat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page