Adoption Contract Provision: Too Extreme? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Adoption Contract Provision: Too Extreme?

I was reviewing an adoption contract from a local shelter, and I found one of their provisions rather unsettling. The other provisions are all reasonable, but this one reads:

"I agree that if the (shelter name) should determine at any time that any of the provisions of this agreement have not been fully complied with, I will return the animal to the (shelter name) upon demand. If I fail to return the animal, the (shelter name) shall have the right, without further notice or demand, to enter the premises where the animal may be and remove the animal without process of law. Adopter agrees to waive all claims for trespass or damage."

So, am I just a bit too narrow minded, or does this seem a bit extreme to anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Adoption Contract Provision: Too Extreme?

That's way extreme and I wouldn't sign it. I have no problem with shelters requiring right of first refusal if you have to give the animal up. But they should not have any rights to come in and take your animal without going through due process of the law. If they determine that there's a problem, they should need to go through animal control, just like they would need to if the pet wasn't adopted from them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Premier Cat

Wow, talk about putting the fear into people. I wouldn't sign that either, but I think I'd pursue it by asking if you could just cross that paragraph out, have both parties initial the deletion, and then it just wouldn't apply to you. Maybe they know they're willing to look the other way on that if people just bring it up. Mostly, they want to adopt out some cats.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Premier Cat

That is way extreme wording. I know the feeling when you adopt a cat out and its not being taken care of properly and it rips you up. I have no good answers how to word a contract so you have the option to remove a cat that is being abused by lack of medical care or daily food and water. Beleive me Ive been an adoption nazi with a couple people. They casually mentioned they wanted to declaw and I refused to adopt to them even when they said they wouldnt do it after I told them declawing is an amputation and to go find a cat in a shelter that already had been declawed. It turned ugly but Im the only voice a cat has to screen people and try to find a good forever home. When I get a foster it will live with me till the perfect person is found. I make no exceptions.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Cat

at the end of the day how often do shelters even bother to check up on you? after there initial home check they leave you to it. (at least this is the case in the UK) Ive never had a follow up on any cats ive adopted.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Premier Cat

Still...I would *never* give anyone who isn't a trusted family-member or close-friend such a blanket statement allowing them free access, including damage due to forced entry, to basically conduct an illegal act of trespass, entry and theft in my home with no warning to me or legal ramifications against the party entering my home.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Cat Addict

When I was cruising the rescue sites before my two kitties just happened I couldn't believe they even wanted home inspections. I delayed because I wanted to make sure everything was clean and eventually I figured they'd really just come in and give me a few tips on cat proofing my home but some did come across as rescue nazis. I doubt they'd ever show up with Hello Kitty Battering Rams but you never know.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Banned

I wouldn't sign that contract for all the tea in China!

I completely understand why shelters want their kitties to go to good homes. I've heard many a story of cats being rescued and being in a terrible state and then being nursed back to health before being rehomed, and I can only imagine how keen these people are to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen again.

However. There are a significant number of animal shelters with extreme adoption 'contracts' like this one - I wouldn't adopt from any of those places. Obviously, the shelter needs to know the cat is being well looked after, so maybe a six month 'follow-up' visit should be implemented (I think thats more than reasonable) but beyond that, no.

Its like those contracts where the shelter declares that cat is 'always theirs and they can take the cat back whenever they please'. You must be joking! I adopt a cat, that cat is mine. A 6 month probationary period should be all thats necessary to ensure the adopter is being a good cat parent.

I've already investigated 'adoption contracts' of a number of shelters near me and I know which shelters to avoid and which ones to go for if I want to adopt another cat at some point.

Some of these shelters are frightening perfectly good people away with their draconian adoption policies. And I know a couple of shelter owners who seem to assume that all potential adoptees are 'bad people' and said 'bad people' have to bend over backwards to prove otherwise before being considered. The vast majority of people who want to adopt a cat will give that cat a loving forever home. Its only the very small majority that don't and that can be catered for by stipulating a probationary period. Any echos of 'adoption nazism' and I'm gone!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Cat Addict

I don't know if I'd ever have gone thru with the adoption if I'd had to deal with the rescues.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostpaw
at the end of the day how often do shelters even bother to check up on you? after there initial home check they leave you to it. (at least this is the case in the UK) Ive never had a follow up on any cats ive adopted.
It must depend on the shelter - the one we adopted from is very small and very close by, and our shelter mom has stopped over numerous times. (With our knowledge and permission) Maybe we've seen her more than some other adopters because we hit seriously awful financial times right after we got the girls, and she helped us out with food and litter, but it's nice to keep in touch and we go help out at the adoption days at the pet stores sometimes. AFTER we adopted the girls I actually read the adoption contract closely and was surprised to see a similar clause, although it wasn't nearly so extreme. I wouldn't hesitate to adopt again from the same shelter since I know them so well, but if I adopted from another shelter I would ask for quite a bit of clarification before signing the contract.

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page