Water vs. Bathroom when traveling with cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Water vs. Bathroom when traveling with cats

I am about to have to travel with me three cats and would like some opinions on the need for water vs. the need for bathroom.

The trip will be by car and about 4 hours max. Hopefully more like 3.5. I am trying to weight out if for that length i should be more worried about them needing water or needing to pee. Would you vote for offering them water in the car and hopping they don't need to go? Or is it short enough that they might be more comfortable (i.e. no full bladder) without the water and plenty fresh at arrival. (staying with mom, so no checking in issues - they will have litter and water ready and waiting)

To give some background if it helps, I have three cats. Two are total champs for traveling. . . they don't care, they don't whine they have done this trip several time and never had any real issues (though one i think had ears that needed to pop ones, poor guy). Those two are also very prone to liking to use fresh litter so i plan to trick them by changing the trays right before leaving.

The other one is a different story. He is a bottle fed orphan that has grown up a bit neurotic. He does not like to eat, drink or go to the bathroom with witnesses or on command. He also does not like the car. He was fine as a kitten but the last time we made this trip the poor guy yowled the whole way. He is the one whose comfort i worry most about.

I also will be useing Benadryl on him. This has been cleared with the vet (he recommended it over anything he could prescribe) and has been used before on a shorter (little over an hour) drive. It eliminated about 90% of the yowling (we skipped it on the way back to test. . . bad idea he was happier with it) and also he seemed to adjust to his new room much better after having been drugged a bit on the drive.
I just do not know how Benadryl will effect his hydration/needing to pee. I wanted to toss this part in in case anyone knows the effect. I am hoping if he just sleeps he will be ok and can just do his thing when we arrive.

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 12:39 PM

Re: Water vs. Bathroom when traveling with cats

Well you know your cats best. For my cats, 3.5 hours isn't anything (been on much longer trips). I wouldn't worry about feeding, watering, or letting them out to use the bathroom during the trip. They aren't really going to be dehydrated or anything, plenty of cats go 3.5hours without water. I would try to verify that they do use the bathroom as close to before you leave as possible. My cats are pretty good about going to the bathroom if I put them in the litter box a few times until they get the point. I also throw a good stack of folded paper towels in the back of their cage as a pad just in case they do have to go.

Hope it helps!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 12:49 PM

I agree with the other poster. I think that 3.5 hours without water will be fine and putting newspaper in the back of their cage just in case is an excellent idea. Hope the trip goes well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Even just the reassurance that the length of time is nothing for a kitty is helpful. I did not think it was, but i worry a lot.

I just want them healthy, happy and comfortable. Especially the little whinny one. Wish he could take a cue from the other two and just enjoy the trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page