introducing new cat to puppy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

introducing new cat to puppy

Hi, I have just joined here and I got my cat yesterday. He came from a woman who was having bad allergies, and he was otherwise going to the shelter. He is (I was told) a Maine Coon mix, about 2 years old, neutered and front declawed, and has lived with dogs before, but not in the 4months she had him. He is very sweet, loves petting, was instantly relaxed coming into my apartment, ate, drank and used the litter tray within an hour of being here.

I already have a 7month old puppy. There is a room she is kept in when I go out, whenever I am in she is out with me. I have also cleared a large storage closet for the cat, it has a babygate and a door, and for the moment I have been having them out in shifts, one in their room while the other is out with me, and at night the dog is in my bedroom while the cat has the run of the apartment.

How do you think is the best way to start introducing them? The worst the puppy would do is chase him if he ran, she never uses her teeth in play. I have noticed the cat hissing at the door when Ruby (the puppy) is confined, but he showed no other visible signs of arousal, and the minute I touched him he was like "oh yeah, you're my new best friend, scratch my neck" then wandered off and paid no more attention to that door.

I really don't want to rush this, he only got here yesterday and I know it can be a long process. I also know that they might never be able to be unsupervised together. But I would like to get to the point where I don't have to have them out in shifts, and if I could sleep without worrying about them being separated.

I have read most of the articles that google brought up, so I was wondering if any of you had any personal experiences.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Tom Cat

Re: introducing new cat to puppy

Yeah, keep them seperated for atleast a week. Intro's would be easier if the cat wasn't declawed, because that way when they did meet for the first time and the puppy did something the cat didn't like, the cat could just swat the puppy and he would learn not to mess with kitty. However, since the cat is declawed, there may be a chance that when they do meet the cat will feel unsafe and unsure without its claws and may bite the dog and/or completely withdraw from everyone in the house and be an angry cat. You have to be careful not to stress out the cat too much. Definitly watch them closely at the beginning. In a week or so, I would just let the cat and dog look at eachother through a crack in the door, with you holding the door of course so they could see eachother's faces and gauge their reactions. I would do that for a few days and kind of go from there. Maybe let the cat out while the dog is out, and try to keep the dog calm and relaxed, take him for a nice long walk to drain his energy, and keep him distracted with toys or treats when the cat is out. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page