I Need Help With a Feral Orphan - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

I Need Help With a Feral Orphan

Wednesday I found under my back steps a feral kitten that has it's eyes about 1/2 open and no teeth. I have been feeding him formula and he seems to be doing quite well, but he has not yet defecated. I rub him just as I should and he wets a gallon (or so it seems lol) but he has not yet passed a stool. His stomach is big but not hard, he does not seem to be in distress, he purrs constantly when I hold & feed him. I am just worried and am not sure what to do. Is he ok? He seems ok, but if he is why is there no stool? Could it be clear liquid like his urine so I can't tell the difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Premier Cat

Re: I Need Help With a Feral Orphan

Hi, Welcome to Cat Forum and special hugs to you for rescuing this little baby. You've only had him a few days, and it is possible that he'd had no opportunity to nurse and his current nourishment is being utilized for his body, and is intestines are just slow to move things out. Keep stimulating him, eventually he will have to go. Food in = stuff out. It has to come out sometime.

When I got an orphaned litter to care for, I was having difficulty getting them to poo and one of my male cats actually helped me. LuckyDuck(Louie) *loves* all kittens/cats and he was always very interested when I cared for the kittens. I couldn't get them to poo, though pee was definitely not a problem. Louie was in the room with me, and he began poking around the kittens, he rolled one onto its' back and began licking its' belly and the kitten poo'd! He started on another one and I grabbed the 3rd one, gently rolled him over to his back and rubbed with the cloth and he poo'd, too! Maybe give that a try?

If the kitten's belly does not get 'hard' distended and it shows no signs of distress, just keep trying. If you get concerned about the baby, I'd take it to the vet for an exam and advice. Little kittens are so small that if/when things go wrong, it goes wrong very badly and is extremely difficult for the little body to recover on its' own.

My favorite kitten milk replacing formula is called "Just Born with Colostrum" and is made by Farnam. It is available in small containers already mixed up or in a canister of powder that you mix yourself. I used the canister for litters or single orphans I got at a young age and would require weeks of bottle feeding. Your kitten could be around 8-14dys old, due to the half opened eyes and will require bottle feeding for at least 7 weeks. Kittens can be introduced to canned food around 4wks, but some don't show interest until about 5wks of age and even 6wks, for late-developers.
Best of luck with the little one!
heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the warm welcome! I will definitely try rubbing his tummy to get him to poo. I watched my Chihuahua lick and lick him, but still nothing, but I will definitely do what you suggest. I use the Just Born formula, but it doesn't say with colostrum and it was the only kind they had. So he should continue to nurse until he's about 8 weeks old? Or just until he gets a good start on kitten food? Obviously, this is my first time trying to raise a kitten. I am so glad I found this forum! Thank you for all the help!!

Oh, and I was wondering if it would be ok to add some canned milk to his formula to try to stretch it, it is so very expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 02:54 AM
Premier Cat

Way-to-go with your Chihuahua helper! Let your pup keep trying and I'm sure the little one will have to 'go' sometime. Are you sure your Chi hasn't, um, removed the evidence of a kitty-poo?

As for trying to stretch the Just Born formula with canned milk...I really wouldn't, but that is me. IMO, the prepared product is balanced with everything it needs to nourish the kitten and adding things to it would dilute it and possibly cause gastric-upset for the kitten. You must be buying the liquid product? Yeah, it is expensive buying the pre-mixed product. Your best bet would be to get a canister of the powder and mix up just enough for 1-2 days at a time. It will be very 'thin' when you first mix it, but after it sets for a short bit it thickens up to kitten-milk consistency.

As for nursing until 8wks old...you shouldn't have to. You need to monitor the kitten around weaning-time to be sure it is getting enough from the bottle and still eating the canned, then eventually trying out the small kibble product. During this transition, through weeks 5-7, you can dramatically decrease the bottle feedings, both in amount per feeding and bottles/day. IF the kitten isn't transitioning well to the solid foods, that is when you need to continue to offer it the bottle. If it is doing well, you should be able to completely stop the bottle by the 7th or early 8th week.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much, Heidi, for your advice! I've named him Furball, since it fits him so well, lol, and he did, finally, poo a bit this morning. Yay!!! It is the canister of powdered formula that I have and it cost more than $15 here. Since he ate his days ration for breakfast this morning, I can see where this will become quite expensive so I'll have to do something. I wish I could have found someone, or even a no-kill rescue, who would have taken him, but the shelters are overloaded around here and the people I know don't want him. I couldn't just let him die, so I'll just have to do the best I can. Thank you for all your help!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Cat Addict

Thank you for keeping the little one. Where are you located? I have always wanted to take care of a little one. My hubby and Mango would kill me though. I just might have to kick my hubby out and mango would just have to suck it up!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Cat Addict

Also, your Furball could turn out to be a she
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I am in N. Louisiana. Are you planning a road trip anytime soon? lol. We moved up here from Pensacola almost 4 years ago. Thanks for the offer, if you're going to be in the neighborhood......

I don't think he has the right "equipment" to be a she....
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Premier Cat

Okay, I just went and got my old "Just Born" canister from under the cupboard. It is empty since the last time I used it, but I saved it specifically to save the conversion information I wrote on the lid with a sharpie pen.

The canister's directions say to mix 1T of powder with 1T+1t of water together.
Well.
That is fine if you are only nursing one kitten, I guess...but I was bottle feeding 5 at one time and then the last orphaned litter was 3 kittens. Having numerous kittens eats up more than their "mix-chart" per-feeding directions so I had to calculate it out to make and have more mixed-up product on hand in the fridge for the day, or so.
I calculated out the product/water mixture to have enough mixed up for 1-2 days of feeding for the litters. I would keep the mixed product refridgerated and shake/pour into the individual bottles, warming the bottles in mugs of hot water, keeping the larger amount of mixed product in the fridge.

So...if I am remembering correctly, I could mix up two large batches per container, and feeding 5 kittens, each mixed batch would last about 2-3 days, so with only one kitten...I am guessing that you should be able to get around 3 weeks of feedings out of a canister for one kitten. Depending on how much the kitten grows and consumes, I'd say it could range from 4wks to 2wks, with 3wks probably being closest to the amount you would use.

http://www.farnampet.com/product.php?pi ... aincat=Cat
Okay...I just visited the Farnam site and it looks like they've changed their packaging, so my above advice may not exactly apply to the size product you bought. My old canister is a pale pink in color and weighed 340grams, or about 12oz. and it is from that size my calculations were made.
Good luck!
heidi

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Heidi! I looked at the directions on the website and it is the same as was on your label and it's what I am using. I hope it does last 3 weeks, if I'm not mistaken I can begin introducing him to canned by then. I am also wondering how old they should be to begin litter box training. Another challenge I have never attempted before...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page