What aged to get my cat spayed/neuterd - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

What aged to get my cat spayed/neuterd

Yhea well my cat had 6 kittens about 3 weeks back and i dont want her to come back pregnent when she gets out soo
when is it a good time to do it becouse now she is still full time taking care of kittens and i heard they cant produce milk if they get neuterd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Tom Cat

Re: What aged to get my cat spayed/neuterd

I've heard that many cats still produce milk after spaying. However the place that was spaying my momma cat would not spay her until her milk was dried up. She was spayed when the babies were 12 weeks as I took her the same time we took the baby we kept and the one the next door neighbor kept. She was kept under lock and key literally until her spay (she was kept in an outdoor enclosure).

Leslie
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Huyke
Yhea well my cat had 6 kittens about 3 weeks back and i dont want her to come back pregnent when she gets out soo
when is it a good time to do it becouse now she is still full time taking care of kittens and i heard they cant produce milk if they get neuterd

well, for the momma, just wait until the kittens are done suckling. somehwere between 3 and 4 weeks...i think....not sure.

for the kittens, most shelters do it at 4 weeks old/ 2 lbs. kind of scares me, i waited for my Allie to be 4 months and 4 lbs to spay her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinG.
well, for the momma, just wait until the kittens are done suckling. somehwere between 3 and 4 weeks...i think....not sure.

for the kittens, most shelters do it at 4 weeks old/ 2 lbs. kind of scares me, i waited for my Allie to be 4 months and 4 lbs to spay her.
They do it at 8 weeks/2 lbs, not 4 weeks/2 lbs (just for clarification).

Kittens are usually weaned around 5-6 weeks old but I would keep her indoors (along with her kittens) until they are 8-12 weeks old and adopted out, and she can get spayed and heal nicely indoors without nursing kittens or going outdoors.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureMuttz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinG.

They do it at 8 weeks/2 lbs, not 4 weeks/2 lbs (just for clarification)..

oh yeah.......DUH. i know this. Allie was 9 weeks old when we got her and still not spayed because she was 1.6 lbs. TINY liittle girl. I remember they told me 8weeks 2 lbs

if a cat was 2 lbs at 4 weeks old.........that would mean it was going to be HUGE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page