Feeling at home - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Feeling at home

I wonder how long it takes for a cat to feel completely at home after they come into your household. The reason I am asking is that I have had Orlando just over a year now. It seems that in the last month or so he is more relaxed then at any other time since I adopted him. He is more attached and more vocal and even more purry and loving. It is most noticable with him, but I have seen it with some of the other cats, too. Casper is a shy cat with strangers and it took him a very long time to warm up. He wasn't completely antisocial but he didn't really come out of himself and show his personality until at least a year after he came to us. Juno has been with us since January and is only slowly increasing her "pet me" moments. Then there is Tweezer who jumped in with all four paws and decided that our place was home right away.
Does anyone else have cats that seemed to warm up slowly?

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:52 AM

Re: Feeling at home

I had a foster cat that took about two or three months before he warmed up to me. But that was the longest I've ever experienced. My current cats took around a day or two to feel at home.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:16 PM

My female cat, Martha, was 'at home' in about 2 weeks after I adopted her.

My male cat, Jethro, has been indoors since January, and he's not there yet. He has his moments when he seems pretty relaxed, but he still gets spooked so easily that he becomes uncertain of his surroundings easily. Hopefully with time, that decreases so he can relax.

Doesn't help that we moved in the last month, with a pit stop at my parents for a couple weeks, so he lived in 3 places within a month. Probably set him back a little.

Now we have new furniture that he has to get used to, as well. (Both cats have quickly found out they can sit under the reclining chair by going under the flap in the back, though....go figure!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Premier Cat

I am very surprised that most of my cats have not shown the various problems many people encounter in multi-cat households. With most of the kitties, I do a fairly long intro-process of nose-sniffing before allowing interaction with the friendliest household cats and finally allowing free-roam of the house. By the time they are allowed free-access, everyone is very blase about the whole thing. A sort of "oh, ho-hum, you again" reaction.
Also: I have *never* had a cat I could not touch/rub their belly. I find that odd, especially hearing about so many kitties who do not allow their bellies to be touched...and with the large numbers of cats that have been in my life, for me to not encounter even one, is surprising to me.
As far as settling in...I would have to say the only one I *really* noticed making an obvious transition, would be Pretty. Pretty started out as completely feral and it took years of work just to touch/pet and minimally handle her. It took another year of allowing her indoors for increasingly longer periods of time before she became comfortable. At first, the TV *freaked* her right out! After a few more months of spending more/more time indoors, she was becoming very comfortable living within the household routine. However I have noticed in this past 6mo, while my husband has made a concerted effort to be able to handle her, that she has relaxed wonderfully and will now allow visitors (strangers to her) to walk right up and pet her.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page