Recommendations on cat-related books - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Recommendations on cat-related books

First of all, do forgive me if this thread is posted in the wrong forum. I wasn't too sure if it should be posted in the Generals or perhaps the Cats in Art & Lit forum, but since the latter seems to involve more arts and graphics, I thought it'd be best to post in the general forum. Of course, I'm new around here and might get things mixed up - so feel free to move this topic to its appropriate forum.

I'm looking for some recommendations in regards to cat-related books. I've gone through a few in a week or two and am now searching for some new ones to satisfy my thirst for reading. I tend to enjoy a wide range of genre as long as it is related to cats so feel free to suggest anything interesting from you bookshelf.

The ones I have read so far are the Chicken Soup series, Dewey, Lessons by Ripley, A Dickens of a Cat, Under the Paws, Power of Purrs etc... just to name a few. I just got into reading cat-related books so my collection is still small, therefore am hoping that you guys could help expend it a little more.

Cheers
May
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Recommendations on cat-related books

Fiction? The Mrs. Murphy murder/mystery series are great reads. Written by Rita Mae and Sneaky Pie Brown.
Mrs. Murphy is a tiger/tabby cat who helps her nosy mistress solve local mysteries/murders with the help of her two friends; Pewter, another cat and Tucker, a Corgi dog. They also have brief enounters with some other animal characters: foxes, owls, possums, mice, a crow, cows, horses and other cats.
The books are on the small-ish side, but are entertaining and well written.

Lillian Jackson Braun also writes "The Cat Who..." series. Siamese cats, Koko and YumYum help their person (Qwill) solve murders/mysteries.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Cat Addict

I enjoy Shirley Rousseau Murphy's Joe Grey mysteries. Here is a link to her site:
http://joegrey.com/
Joe Gray is a cat with the power of speech who tracks down bad guys with his cat and human friends. Very entertaining.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 03:23 PM

The first books that come to mind is the "Warriors" series by Erin Hunter. It's often found in the Childrens/Teens area, but it's really a great read for adults, too.

There is a book I have not read yet, but it just looks amusing for a light read:
"Every Cat's Survival Guide to Living with a Neurotic Owner" by Beth Adelman.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Premier Cat

Awesome! SRM's "Catswold Portal" and 'Joe Grey' series sounds promising. I've written down all of the titles to check for at the book store next time I'm over that way...

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Cool Cat

"Tailchaser's Song" by Tad Williams. Great fantasy novel in which all the main characters are cats.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Premier Cat

Lillian Jackson Braun also writes "The Cat Who..." series. Siamese cats, Koko and YumYum help their person (Qwill) solve murders/mysteries.[/quote]
Did you know there's a CAT WHO cookbook?
Tell me about the Catswold Portal-I'm intrigued!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
Awesome! SRM's "Catswold Portal" and 'Joe Grey' series sounds promising.
Catswold Portal is excellent if you enjoy fantasy. Some of the Celtic magical story line from Catswold Portal even shows up in the Joe Gray stories. I wish she would write a sequel to CP.

Sue

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Premier Cat

I visted her website and she says she *may* write a sequel for the Catswold Portal...but that could be just a tease on her part.
I didn't know The Cat Who had a cookbook...I'll have to check that out.

Tailchaser's Song...I just wanted to say...I found that to be a multi-hanky book, but I have a habit of getting a little too emotionally charged when reading my books. I"ve even found some of the themes in the "Warrior's" series books, both sad and graphic, and at those times they can leave me shocked that these books are marketed for children. Very well written, but I think they parallel our own human lives more than they do cats.

There is a book series by *someone* Bell, called the Ratha series. Let me go look that up...
Clare Bell is the author: http://www.rathascourage.com/
I'm trying to find a link that lists her books... Okay, here is Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clare_Bell

Ratha's Creature
Clan Ground
Ratha and Thistle-Chaser
Ratha's Challenge
Ratha's Courage

I have these ^ five books and have read through them once, I will probably read through them again w/in the next yea. I found the storyline to be suitable for the age-group this series is directed at (young adult) and while I found it entertaining, I also found it to be a little lacking, as far as plot-line and its ability to keep me interested. Perfectly suitable for its target age group, and still a good read for adults. I think I would classify this series as a 'guilty pleasure' in my personal reading library.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Will definitely be checking these books out. Something tells me my purse is going to end up considerably lighter after this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page