Problem after spayed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Problem after spayed

Hi,

My Starlee got spayed last Friday morning, her surgery went well. She was still a bit drugged when I picked her up on Friday afternoon, once got home she slept all night Friday night and fully awake on Saturday afternoon. She walked around a bit, ate and drink then back to bed. Her incision looked good, she used the litterbox okay on Saturday night. However, on Sunday afternoon she has some problem with peeing. She peed very little, just a drop or two and kept coming back to the box within a minute tried to pee again and kept doing that for about 30 mins. Called the hospital and they said maybe her internal is irritating after the surgery, was told to kept an eye on her. I watched her all night and saw that she still is having that issue. This morning, after she was done with the litterbox, she followed me to the bathroom and dragged her bottom on the carpet, then jumped into the bathtub (dry) and sat there for awhile. Called the hospital again, now the technician said that she may have infection and was told to bring her in. They said it’s not an emergency and they're booked so they can only see her before they close for the day. I'm worried, waiting till the end to the day seem like forever. Has anyone here experinece this problem after the cat was spayed? My other 2 cats spayed before and they were fine, no issues at all.

Put aside the peeing problem, Starlee seemed perfect fine. She’s eating, drinking quite often, and playing too. Sometimes she stared at the TV and swatted at the weather man, so cute. A bit about Starlee: I adopted her a month ago, she's over a year old, she was a breeding queen but due to her first stillborn baby was very large, she end up to had a c-section so the breeder gave her up for adoption. Here is her photos.

Pix1

pix2

pix3

pix4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Problem after spayed

Welcome, and I'm sorry to say I have no advice or experiences to share...I just wanted
to comment that I think she looks like a beautiful bandit with that mask over her face!
heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:02 AM
Jr. Cat

Of my two girls my tabby had a terrible time with her spay. At the time my vet said she wasn't going to make it...it was terrible. She was having a hard time going potty and seemed listless, her tummy looked irritated. Well, luckily one of the vets said she had once seen a dog who had an allergic reaction to the synthetic sutures they use for most spays. Turns out she was right, I had to have her sutures removed and metal ones put in that had to be removed later on. Even inside the incision was inflamed....SO awful!! It was the only time she has ever been sick and it was so terrible. I left that vets office shortly after because the way they handled the situation was pretty heartless.

If the suture site doesn't look irritated than I doubt it’s the same thing, but everyone needs to know that cats can have allergies to synthetic materials just like people and if I ever have another female that needs a spay I will have them use the metal sutures just to be safe.

Hope your girls okay.

Nerina~

Nerina~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

I hope you got some answers, Vanessa, and that Starlee is back to normal soon.

She is absolutely stunning!!!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Cat Addict

Starlee is a very unique and beautiful cat. What breed is she?

I hope they find what is causing her problem and she feels better real soon.

Sue

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi, thanks for your responses. Here is what I learned from Starlee’s vet visit yesterday: After gave her full examination and an ultrasound, all seemed fine, the doctor told me that Starlee has a scar tissue from the C-section on her bladder that got in the way of the spaying procedure. The vet had to cut the tissue away in order to reach into her reproductive tract (ovaries and uterus?) and by done so, it caused her bladder and the urethra to be irritated and swollen. The doctor didn’t think she has any infection but since I was worried she gave Starlee an antibiotic shot and some pain reliever meds to take home. Starlee slept the night off and peed normally again this morning. Looks like the shot helped. Phew!!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

[quote="katlover13"]Starlee is a very unique and beautiful cat. What breed is she?

Thanks for your kind words, I think I’m lucky to have Starlee, she is a princess to me. She’s a purebred Oriental shorthair. Her dad is a gray spotted/white tabby and mom is a tortoiseshell. Here are her parents’ pic on their site:

Dad

Mom

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:32 AM
Premier Cat

I'm glad Starlee is okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page