New member - first post! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

New member - first post!

Hello
I am really new to this but am maybe thinking about getting a kitten.
My main concern, well 2, are the shedding issue, and temprement? Most cats I know seem to have an evil side!
Are nearly all cats stubborn and bitey/scratchy?
Don't really know much about cats to be honest, hence I am here
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Cat Addict

Re: New member - first post!

I've been owned by dozens of cats and no two are ever the same, particularly in the personality and temperment department. As far as shedding, long hair/short hair doesn't seem to matter as much as breed and skin type. I currently have 2 long hairs which hardly shed or require grooming at all, I also have another long hair and short hair who shed like Chewbaca on Rogaine.

Welcome.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Kittens love to play fight, and if you allow it, they will play fight with your hand. Don't allow them to do that, or they will continue it. They're lively, like all little ones, but that's not nastiness; it's playfulness. I have had many cats, and only one adult who would scratch on occasion. (my son called her psycho kitty, but she was the exception, by far.) Mostly, they have been loving, soft, great pets. I love both cats and dogs, so I'm not biased. Cats like to choose whether they want to sit on your lap, etc. They are also the only animal to give gentle love bites, but love bites don't hurt.

Cats are more independent than dogs, but still quite loving. I would hate to make the choice, but I've never been without a cat (or 2 or 3 or 4!) in my entire married life!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks
Yeah I wanted a dog but decided that for me its not the right time as Im not sure what hours I will be working etc!
Hence some1 suggested a cat to me
I used 2 not like cats when a friends one scratched me when I was little, and my aunties cat bit me when I went to feed it yeaaars ago, but it was old and grumpy and didnt really like kids, and my friends cat was moody but she was a rescue. But from then I always hear about the "bad cat" or "one is lovely but watch out for the other" etc, which made me think its then maybe tounch-n-go as to whether you get a nice one or not, or is a lot to do with the upbringing?

When they are young if you introduce them to small animals (in cages etc) will they learn to ignore them almost? I have a few small animals in cages ya see!
Thanks
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Cat

If you're new to cat ownership and concerned about behavior you might want to consider adopting an adult cat rather than a kitten. My opinion is that if you know what you're doing you can prevent your kitten from developing behavior problems, but it isn't easy (not even sure I'm doing it right) and it's hard to tell how their personalities will change. Also, kittens ARE very bratty.

I think the best bet for you would be to check out some adult cats at your local animal shelter. Go for ones that have been owned previously, and whose owners were able to give information about them. That way you can be sure to get a cat who doesn't have the traits that you don't like. Alternately, you could check out breeders in your area and see if they have any retired adults for sale.

Cats are all different. Some are quite sassy and independent, while some are more "dog-like". Some cats bounce off the walls while others are fuzzy couch potatoes. If you get an adult you can pick your personality.

As far as the small animals go, yes I'm sure you could easily acclimate a kitten to that sort of thing. However, even adult cats can usually be taught to ignore animals in cages. My family had cats, rats AND birds--everyone learned to coexist peacefully.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Cat Addict

I think it's important also to realize you never know what you're going to get. I can think of a few cases for me in particular where I took in a cat I was certain was going to be problematic/chaotic, upset the whole balance of power and have to be taken to the shelter or just run off...

both turned out to be the best cats I've ever had.

(rip Femix, I still miss ya and think about you everyday. )

-steve

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Banned

Cats, like people, have real personalities, and can vary hugely.

You might get a bundle of furry love, or a bundle of furry fury.

I got both in one cat
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Cool Cat

If you're not used to cats they are quite smart (mostly) and will pick up on things you do. Someone suggested adopting an adult cat, but then you don't know what they've been through and they might have behaviour you're not willing to put up with. A kitten will have personality, yes, but no learned behaviour. Have you given thought to fostering a kitten or two. Or you could foster an adult (I'm assuming that option is available to you) with the intent to adopt if you are suited.

There is one thing though. Small animals in cages. Have you given thought to the possible fear these animals will have when a cat is nearby? Will an adult cat want to get at them and threaten them? A kitten might adapt -- there are cross species friendships, most normally cats and dogs, but cats and small animals (???).

A cat tends to be independant, wants time to itself, but rarely thinks you need the same respect.

I love cats and I feel that it's not that cats can do no wrong, it's that they can always be forgiven. That's just me, but I thought I'd throw it in for good measure.

JusJim
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:11 AM
Premier Cat

I agree, cats do have individual personalities. As a first-time cat owner, you would do well to adopt an adult kitty.

You are right to guess that cats' personality is formed by upbringing. Breeds tend to have certain tendencies, but, like people, who a cat is is shaped by their life experience.
Some are skittish, some very loving, some 'clingy', some independent, etc, etc...

Hello and Welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page