I only want some sleep!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

I only want some sleep!!

Hi All,

New member here!!

You all seem an intelligent bunch so hopefully you can help me out with me feline problem. We acquired a new cat just over a week ago, shes a lovely short haired tabby at the grand age of 13 years. She has settled in fine and seems to like us. However....at 2 - 6am every morning she pads up and down our bed meowing and cant seem to settle. We dont think she is upset or stressed but maybe just wants our attention, but we desparatley need some sleep now!! Any suggestions of braking her out of this habbit? Any good tried and tested methods?

Will be very grateful for any suggestions - we will try anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:27 PM

Re: I only want some sleep!!

It sounds to me like she is just hungry. My cats pester me in the morning as well. We have solved this in two ways... by being absolute statues and giving them no attention because we are just THAT used to the rubbing and purring... OR we feed them in our room. We can get up pour the food out and flop back into the bed. That's just been my experience though.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Premier Cat

First off, good for you for taking in an older kitty That's great!!

Given that she's so new, she's still adjusting and needs to find her comfy spot. What did she sleep in/on previously? Cat bed, blanket, or towel, etc.?

I had good luck adding a fleecy cat bed on my daughter's bed. When Pepper was small, she used to walk all over the bed during the night, but the cat bed became her spot once she got used to it. Now she likes to sleep under the covers and will tug at them if she can't get under We let her in and that usually settles her.

Probably she will settle a bit once she is there longer and figures out where she is comfortable See what she sleeps on during the day and find a similar item for her to sleep on in your room.

If it continues...I would go for the statue method over food. I give mine a snack right before bed. I don't want them to think that waking me up in the night equals food! Cats are usually good at getting the message if you are consistent.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero the Sable
It sounds to me like she is just hungry. My cats pester me in the morning as well. We have solved this in two ways... by being absolute statues and giving them no attention because we are just THAT used to the rubbing and purring... OR we feed them in our room. We can get up pour the food out and flop back into the bed. That's just been my experience though.
I always leave a little dry food out for Zenobi, some nights she'll eat a bit, and others nothing. Her feeding is erratic since when I got her home she didn't want to eat anything. I got her to eat some tuna, which became her favourite until it started making her sick. She's been with me five weeks today.

One interesting thing about Zenobi is that she never bothers me if I'm asleep. ( I never bother her when she's asleep) If she's on her blanket and I go for a lie down, she'll put her head down and sleep as well. In the morning, as soon as I sit up, she's alongside soliciting petting. (Do you think I should turn her in for soliciting. )

JusJim
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys!

She used to sleep in a basket and we bought her a very similair one which she has turned her nose up to! We've tried tempting her to lie it but shes having none of it!

Last night we tried a new method, usually we tell her its bedtime and she trotts in to our bedroom behind us and takes camp on the floor or under the bed. Last night we just ignored her and went to bed, she soon came padding in and began meowing in our ears. When she woke up in the early hours we continued to ignore her and gave her no fussing. Plus we decided only to fuss over her anywhere BUT our bedroom so hopefully she will get the message that if she wants attention the bedroom is not the place!

She knows where her food is and there is always some left in the morning from the night before so i think she is just after some affection after being stuck in a cage for the last four months at the cat sanctuary!

But as you say she is probably still finding her paws and getting to grips with our routine, and i woudn't change for the world!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page