A little worried about my cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

A little worried about my cat

My female cat Destiny is 6 yrs old. She isn't spayed yet and I just made an appointment yesterday to take her in next week. She had a kitten about 2 years ago that was stillborn and huge. She was at my parents, and I brought her to live with me in my new place this past December. I noticed a lump on her tummy, near her back legs, the vet thinks it's a hernia and they're going to fix her hernia when they spay her. I'm worried, since it's gotten harder, that it may be more serious than just removing or fixing a hernia and worried that she's a bit older that their may be some complications. Has anyone been threw this?

Destiny

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 05:22 PM

Re: A little worried about my cat

She is beautiful, for starters.

As for the lump, it could very well be a hernia, as I've had some foster kittens with pretty solid/hard feeling hernias.

I suppose that the vet will find out if it's just that or something more.

She's only 6 years old, and to me I still consider that young (could be because my cats are 5 years old and I refuse to think they're getting older?) but I think she'll definitely have the strength to deal with the spay and whatever the lump may be.

Here's to hoping it's just a fixable hernia!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Cat Addict

My God. How did you live thru the heat cycles. Fay is howling away behind me now. When she's not howling she frantically seeking affection and using me as a (ahem) toy.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Cat

nice kitten

My Suki is 6, she is an 'adult' in the vet world, they arent considered senior till 8yrs old. she'll be fine. Trust your vet.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Cool Cat

It's worth giving your vet a call.
A hernia is just body parts (muscle or other tissue) that has fallen into an opening where it should not be. Sometimes the hernia can become strangulated, which means the blood supply can be cut off.
I have no idea how to tell if it is strangulated in pets, but the fact that the lump is hard is of concern to me. A strangulated hernia is a medical emergency as tissue can die..

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you. She's more beautiful in person. Her pictures don't really do her justice! She's beautiful though non-theless.
About her heat cycles LOL .. um she hasn't really been in heat since February. When I was living with my parents she would come into heat about every 2-4 wks. Once I moved out they put her outside, got sick of listening to her I guess and were annoyed that my sister ( she was originally my sisters cat) didn't pay and get her fixed and left our parents to care for her. Finally after I moved in with my bf, where I was alloud to have cats, i brought her here and she's been in heat only once. I know that wont last so I'm getting her spayed next week. She always seems to rev up in her heats right from Aug/Sept until about April.

The vet looked her over back in December or January and said it was nothing to be to worried about. Well since then it's gotten a bit bigger and is quite firm now. I hope its just a fixable hernia and nothing goes wrong, she's my baby!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Cat Addict

I've only gone thru the heat cycle 2x. Once in late May and again starting last Friday. It's tough on both of us.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:49 AM
Premier Cat

Destiny is a very beautiful kitty!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 05:42 AM
Senior Cat

THATS the colouring of my new babies ! she is gorgeus .

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Destiny was Spayed on August 18th and also had her hernia fixed. They informed me that the hernia was fat that seeped threw a previous surgery incision. When she was 3 months old she swalloed string and had to have surgery.
She was really dopey and out of it when I brought her home, but I'm so glad everything went well and that she's fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page