Don't you just love being woken up by a cat throwing up? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Don't you just love being woken up by a cat throwing up?

Our girls don't generally throw up much, but Fergie was kind enough to throw up on my feet (on the blanket over them I mean) at four in the morning today.... I really wasn't happy to wake up to that sound, and REALLY not happy to realize she was decorating my feet, but the apologetic look on her face was just priceless afterwards, especially when she realized that it had run down the edge of the bed and dripped onto the floor! She really wanted to help clean it up - after all, that was perfectly good food that she had just lost!

Makes me wonder, though - is it bad for cats to eat their own vomit? I assume they're just going to go ahead and eat it if we're not around to stop them.

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Don't you just love being woken up by a cat throwing up?

The Tiddlers don't vomit at all (fingers crossed!) but Jimmy was always doing it.

I well remember being woken by the sound of a retching cat and springing out of bed to try to shoo him out of the carpeted bedroom into the hall where we have a laminate floor. Your ear gets attuned to the sound of that first little retch so that you can rocket out of bed at lightning speed.
But then there would always be the challenge of getting him to move from where he wanted to chuck up. He'd go all flat to the ground, or get a bit panicky and run in the wrong direction. Poor old Jimmy

In fact the main reason that we took up the hall carpet and put down the laminate was because Jimmy was always chucking up on it. But at least he never threw up ON the bed.

seashell
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Cat

suki was sick twice on my pillow the other day.... when i was trying to sleep!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Cat Addict

At least you get the alert to clean it up and be on time for work. I walked into the living room this morning and found last nights regurgitation just as I was leaving for work. The poor kid.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Jr. Cat

Haha... my boyfriend and I can sleep through almost any noises outside the house, but ANY cat-related noises have us wide awake, even though they are almost always false alarms. Any digging sounds ("Oh no, Quinn is urine-marking!"), any out-of-the-ordinary litter box noises (either "He's peeing over the side!" or "He's blocked!"), and of course, the retching sound. Fortunately the hallway right outside our bedroom is tile, so if we hear retching we just chase him out that way.

He has never actually thrown up on the bed with us in it, but it's not for lack of trying. I swear, some cats are like small children -- when they feel icky, they come straight to the bed and ... "Mom, Dad... I don't feel good..." Not that I'm unsympathetic, but when he tries to hurl in bed, he gets hurled straight off of it!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO

I had that pleasure this morning too! I wasn't quick enough to realize what I was hearing and couldn't sweep her off the bed fast enough - or at least throw something under her. So now I have to wash all the sheets.

Gotta love life with cats.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Cat Addict

Wow, does this bring back memories!

Our aged R.I.P. rescue kitty Nikki spent her last year or two as a kidney failure kitty, and we got so tuned into the slightest "hack-a-heck-a-hahhhkkkk" noise - we'd leap out of bed from a dead sleep! She always chose the nice rugs or the middle of the hall carpet...Even the very morning I went into labor before Jamie was born, we were woken. I think I could barely waddle at that point - I remember later feeling sorry for hubby while I was resting in the hospital.

She was a sweetheart of a kitty, though - so humble, so ready for lap time and love...Gracie is the same color but so much more independent. We have to earn our pets from her! On the plus side, though, she's not a hurler! We've only found two "mystery spots" in the two years she's lived with us...

Fran
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Lol, it's so good to know I'm not the only one who's had a cat barf in bed.... Normally my girls are kind enough to throw up right in the normal path of travel (for humans, anyway) so we can't possibly miss it and the stain is forever obvious. I was so surprised when Fergie did it in bed this morning my brain didn't react fast enough to try to get her on the floor first. (Not to mention I was envisioning her spewing puke all over the bedroom if she got tossed too late!)

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKitties
Makes me wonder, though - is it bad for cats to eat their own vomit? I assume they're just going to go ahead and eat it if we're not around to stop them.
Zenobi vomited a lot for a few days soon after I brought her home and when I saw her trying to eat it I cleaned up as fast as I could, which didn't worry her, in fact she may have been grateful. Two thoughts ocuured to me over that action.

One was that she'd been punished by a past 'care' giver and was trying her best to clean up. The other was that it may be similar to the need to cover body waste so that animal prey won't realize there is a preditor in the area.

On the subject of cat punishment, Zenobi runs and semi-hides when her litter gets spilled. It's as if she expects some sort of reprisal. It happened this morning again and after I'd cleaned it up I told her it was OK and she came out. I feel that's really bad. How would humans feel if they were given an electric shock, for instance, after they'd used the bathroom?

JusJim
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 06:12 AM

And it's ok if kittens vomit a little? I mean it's not something severely serious, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page