claws - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

claws

At what age can a kitten be neutered and declawed and at what age do they get aqll there teeth in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Cat

Re: claws

hi, depending on the sex can be between 6-8 months old for neutering....

As for declawing, No one here will ever condone declawing. Please do not declaw your cat. Its barbaric, cruel, and immensly painful.

Basicly you would be alowing you vet to cut your cats fingers off. They take what looks like a pair of sharp pliers and cut there toes off at the nuckle bone. They may never recover from such trauma. Your cat will be unable to climb, scratch at a post and most importantly totally unable to defend itself from other cats/predators.

If you worried about furniture scratching, look into a good scratch post. A product called 'soft claws' (little caps that you can fit to your kittens claws, harmless, cheap).

Failing that, are you sure you want a cat?

Sorry to sound harsh here, but it is a totally disgusting thing to do to an animal. In fact here in england it is classed as animal cruelty and you can be fined and jailed for it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply and for your opinion everyone is entitled to theirs and by the way I'm circumsised and parts of the world consider that cruel and inhumane huh go figure. yes we want the cat
take care and thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Premier Cat

I also cannot recommend de-clawing. I do know that laser surgery performed by an experienced person can have far fewer problems than any done in the traditional manner, but no matter which way you choose the possibility is very high the cat will develop other behavioral problems associated with the loss of their first line of defense.
Could you consider adopting an already de-clawed cat who needs a home, for one reason or another? ~just asking~
heidi =^..^=

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Cat

just as a reply to your cicumcisian.... people have a choice. a circumcsian will not mean the difference between you winning or loosing a fight. It heals within 2 weeks, declawing can take up to 6 MONTHS to heal.... 6 MONTHS OF PAIN AND ANGUISH for your animal...

and a possible life time of behavior problems.

You understand what has happened to you and why it was done. You have had it explained, and have had a chance to come to terms with the reason. Your cat cannot.

You cat does not understand why you have just let him be, what is in effect, tortured.

please rethink, or like above, consider adopting an already de-clawed cat. Dont put your baby through this needless proceedure, which he cannot, ever come to toerms with or ever understand.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Cat

Haven't really heard of any studies showing that circumcision has long-lasting negative psychological effects on people.. sadly, cannot say the same about declawing cats. Along the same lines, the cat cannot logically rationalize (like a human would) losing its fingers "Oh well, I don't really need them anyway.. living inside and all. And hey, this way I never need to scratch the furniture. Awesome!" Yeah, everyone is entitled to an opinion. And mine is that people who do this are selfish and think about their well-being more than the cat's. I'm with Frostpaw on this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

heidi
the first cat was rescued with out her front claws this little guy was recued from an abusive home we were told he was 9 weeks old when we saw the condions he was living in{kids throwing chasing it with a shovel not being fed} We just grabbed up the little guy and took him home upon further inspection we noticed his eyes had not changed he did not have all his teeth and small enough to fit in one hand if they could,ve caught the rest we would've taken them all and I'm not much of a cat guy but my wife is and we are just trying to level the playing field for the 2 cats
and again thanks to all for your opinions and your guess work
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Cat

Hey, no prob. Anytime. Thanks for the advice too. Next time I rescue an amputee kitty, I think I should consider doing the same to my healthy one. Just to even the playing field.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Cat

lol i just ahd that same thought.

Look seriously, give soft claws a go. That way you dont have to put your kitten through the pain. they will still have there toes but not be able to do damage, its a win win situation!

here you go, heres the link!! several of our members use this product without any adverse reaction.

http://www.spuk.com/?gclid=CIOx2bWupJwCFZwA4wodkw9lkQ
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Cat

Some vets (and animal rescues) advocate for early spay/neuter, and will desex cats as soon as they are over 2 pounds. Generally though you just want to shoot for before six months. Some cats apparently come to sexual maturity even earlier than that, so that's something to keep in mind. Short answer: before she is six months old

As for the declawing, I also have to voice my disapproval. You've been somewhat bombarded with feedback on this issue, and I don't want to overwhelm or offend you--I truly am trying to be helpful. I hope you'll consider what I have to say.

Your resident cat is obviously well-adjusted and relatively unharmed from the procedure--otherwise I don't think you would be considering it. Some cats, like yours, are able to cope with being declawed just fine (after the initial recovery, that is). However, not all cats react so well. Declawing a cat can lead to litter box issues, as the digging motion is painful after surgery and thus the cat associates her box with pain. I have also heard of declawed cats having issues with biting (cats get insecure without their claws and will resort to their only other defense: teeth). On the other hand, some cats become skittish and shy when they're declawed. A cat's claws (or toes, rather) are a very important part of who she is--she is meant to climb things, and grasp her prey (i.e. her toys). When you take away something from her that is essential to her nature it can be quite traumatizing.

I think that in the case of this kitten particularly--given her background and what you saved her from--declawing could create some real problems.

I hope that you and your wife will consider trying soft paws, like Frostpaw suggested. That would level the playing field just as well as getting her the surgery would. You could also just clip her claws like we do. I really don't think that this kitten will hurt your declawed cat--when cats play with each other it's really all about the biting our cats play pretty rough and their claws are never the concern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page