Help! Lost job, moving home, have to keep cats in room - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Help! Lost job, moving home, have to keep cats in room

Hi everyone,

I am 28 and I just lost my job last week. I will very likely have to be moving home with my parents in mid-late October when my lease is up. I don't know how long I will be there, hopefully just a month or two but who knows.

I have two cats, both 9 years old, who have always lived with me in one bedroom apartments and later a large house. Well, when I move home, I will be staying in an upstairs bedroom and will have to keep them locked inside 24/7. My parents have a dog, and their house is huge (5000 sq feet) and I simply will not be able to let them roam.

This is absolutely distressing me!!! I feel like I'm putting them in kitty jail and they will be miserable. Can someone please tell me they will be alright? I mean I don't really have much choice, and thank God I have somewhere to go and am not winding up on the streets...but the thought of them being locked up like that is causing me serious anxiety.

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Help! Lost job, moving home, have to keep cats in room

Why do you have to keep them in your room? That's a huge house, and cats and dogs can certainly live together. A proper introduction is necessary, but from what I've heard and read, it's much easier than introducing strange cats to each other.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Because my father has things stacked up everywhere (he's a packrat), and something could fall on them. And the dog is huge, it's not a sweet little dog. They have a cat already...an outside one...and the dog torments that poor cat when he has the chance. Also, they don't want cats in the house. The dog stays downstairs, only in the living room and kitchen, where they can clean up after him easily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Then I would look at it this way, a whole bedroom is WAY better than a cage in a shelter. Those cats would give anything to be in a HUGE room! Cats are amazingly adaptable and it's more important to keep their person than their square footage.

I think it'll be fine. I'm sorry you lost your job and I hope things turn around quickly for you.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Cool Cat

I suggest you give them lots of extra love if you can spare the time. I know this may sound funny, but talk to them, explain the situation. It's not that I think they'll understand what you are saying, but I'm convinced that at least some cats can pick up on emotion behind the talk. I talk to Zenobi all the time about all sorts of things. But then I'm a little crazy. Any chance you can take them out for walks on a harness?

Best of luck and I hope things improve for you soon.

JusJim
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjim
I suggest you give them lots of extra love if you can spare the time. I know this may sound funny, but talk to them, explain the situation. It's not that I think they'll understand what you are saying, but I'm convinced that at least some cats can pick up on emotion behind the talk. I talk to Zenobi all the time about all sorts of things. But then I'm a little crazy. Any chance you can take them out for walks on a harness?

Best of luck and I hope things improve for you soon.
Thank you so much. I will talk to them, there is nothing I won't do for my kitties! I talk to them all the time, maybe you are right that they will pick up on something.

And yes, I thought about trying to spend as much time with them up in the room as possible. Which won't be hard if I don't have a job! I will probably purposefully spend most of my time in the room then. But then once I do have a job...that will make me worry more.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Cat

I think they'll be fine, and considering the size of the house, I'm guessing the bedroom isn't super small. My kitten lives happily in a small apartment, and he is only allowed in the kitchen and living area (which doubles as the bedroom as well). Although he's still very small, I can't see any issues arriving in the future. As long as you care for them and give them lots of love, they'll be happy. The most important thing to them is staying with you.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 11:48 AM

I know how that is... my husband and I lost our jobs last year and we had to move in with his mother... and we had two cats and a dog! Her dog was mean and tried to eat our dog alive... so she couldn't come out and she was allergic to our cats so they had to stay in as well.

They did fine in our one bedroom... but get used to them play fighting on you at night. They'll also need a lot of extra love.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Premier Cat

I think the most important thing to them will be that they still have their Mommy during a time of upheaval. Cats are very adaptable.

I am sorry that you are going through all of this. It must be so very stressful to you. I hope that things turn around for you quickly.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Thank you SO much everyone, I feel better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page