I just got bitten... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I just got bitten...

I am embarassed.

I was bringing some food out to the tomcat that has been hanging around and I didn't close the door behind me all the way. Floofy has a habit of 'fishing' the door open, but I'm usually only out there long enough to pour the food and give The Black Cat a quick pet or two and I turn to go in, pushing Floofy back from the door.

Well, my task took a moment longer because I dumped some water out of a bowl and he got it open. When I looked, Pretty was coming out the door. I knew if she got out into the dark, I wouldn't be able to catch her and I didn't want the tomcat to try to fight with her so I grabbed the first thing I could reach: her tail and lifted up slightly so she couldn't get any traction to harm herself by my holding her tail and she trying to lunge away with the power of her back feet.

Of course, she became frightened at being restrained, recently-escaped and outside and with the black cat less than three feet away. She began to struggle and twist. When I reached with my other hand to grab her scruff, she twisted just then and bit my finger. When she released me I scooped my bitten hand under her chest and just shoved her through the back door. I got inside and stopped a moment to gather my thoughts, and realized I needed to do a headcount to be certain no one *else* got outside.
Yup. Floofy was missing. I grabbed the flashlight, blood dripping down my fingers, and found him at the edge of the patio. I grabbed him and brought him inside just as The Black Cat was walking up to see what I was doing. Now that I had the cats present and accounted for, I could look to my wound.

The bite actually looks more like a canine tooth slice, and not a puncture deep into the tissue. I've scrubbed it and will take a photo to compare to later. Pretty also gave me some deep and long scratches on my arm, and I actually think I'll have more problems with those than the finger-slice.
I don't want to go to the hospital, but because of my medical treatment to keep my immune system knocked down, I may have to for antibiotics.

Geesh! Now I will make sure the back door is CLOSED and not just pulled-to. I was distracted and made a critical mistake.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

Re: I just got bitten...

The Cat Whisperer got bitten?!??

**thud**

I think with your health issues, Heidi, a trip to the doctor may be in order.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
The Cat Whisperer got bitten?!??
**thud**
See why I'm embarassed?

Our medical clinic has Sunday Hours and I plan to go in. Even if everything looks okay in the morning, I'm going in anyways.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

I think most of us would have done the same thing. When you HAVE to stop a cat, you grab what you can. Things would have been much worse if you hadn't.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Yup. You gotta grab what you can, while you can still grab it.
If she hadn't twisted just then, I'd have been able to grab her scruff and not get bit. I felt so bad for her because she was scared and didn't know what was going on, only that she saw a strange cat coming for her and something was restraining her, and I'm sure as gentle as I tried to be, I'm sure I hurt her tail at least a little bit.

I found her in the house after I got scrubbed and got the bleeding stopped. She let me approach and pet her, but she was acting nervous and jumpy so I left her alone, only speaking soothing to her, blinking my eyes and not trying to approach or touch her. After I checked my wounds again and bandaged them, I searched her out and she let me approach and pet her. This time, she was kneading her front paws and purring, so I don't think I've set us back in the socialization department. A little while later I sat on the couch and she jumped up next to me and walked across my lap a few times as I stroked her. She also let me lean forward and 'hug' her body to me. She kept purring and didn't try to get away, just shifted her feet on my lap. Then she touched her nose to mine, while still purring, so I think we're good.
I feel badly for having scared her... ...but it looks like no permanant harm was done.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator

It sounds like you and Pretty are good.

I think it is a good idea to stop by the clinic tomorrow, just to be safe. I know you're planning on it now, but you may wake up and not feel like it in the morning and your wounds may look fine, but you still should.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I know. And I will. That is one thing that has been drummed into me about these meds I take. I have to take every minor injury and treat it seriously. I think this would classify as 'more-than-minor' by my Dr.

The clinic branch in our town is closed on the weekends, but their nurse is one of our neighbors and I can call on her if I need to, however the clinic in the next town over (15mi away) is open tomorrow from 10am-2pm. I was hoping to sign-in for an appt time over the internet but they only do that during the week so I'll have to call or walk-in tomorrow.

I'm bushed. I'll go have my Ovaltine and toast/jam and head to bed. We've got a friend coming over tomorrow to help us do some building in the barn while the horse is at my friend's property on a "spa-retreat" so we can beautify and make-over her stall/barn without having to worry about gates and a curious horse.

Finger that was bit/tooth-sliced feels good. I'm not having any trouble typing or bending my finger. Looking forward to there being little problems tomorrow other than securing an exam and antibiotics.
h

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

That's so sad, Heidi. It breaks my heart. OMGosh. Ovaltine without Bailey's. It's just wrong.

Try to have a good night anyway.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 08:25 AM
Banned

Don't be embaressed hun, it's not the most terrible thing to do.

We all make mistakes and as you've already acknowledged, it would have been a lot worse if you'd not done it.

Hopefully it's just a wound and you've not picked anything up.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Tom Cat

Don't feel bad, we'd do anything for them even if it means risking ourselves. I took Jack out one day last year on his harness to the neighbors and he was on my lap--someone decided to do a burnout in front of the house and scared Jack half to death, he automatically went to run and was scratching the living daylights out of my chest. I held on until my husband could rescue me because I knew if I let go of that leash he was gone. It hurt so bad but it would have hurt more losing him.

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page