Monty is hurt.. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Monty is hurt..

My poor baby has somehow hurt himself.

He comes in at night and he was fine when I brought him in. I went to bed and for some reason I woke up at 5.30, maybe because he hadn't been in for his normal 5am wake up call.

I called him and no answer, which is very strange. Ever had that sinking feeling?

I went downstairs and he was in the living room. I called him again and he limped over to me, his back leg on the left is not right.
What is also very strange is that one of his eyes has a bloody discharge

I have no idea what has happened, there was no noise during the night..if he would have been outside my guess would have been that he was hit by a car. There is nothing that high in this house that he could have fallen, and nothing on the floor that could have fallen on him.

He is obviously in pain the poor baby

My vet has an emergency call out but he is already out at someone elses house as their dog is ill so I am going to have to wait for 3 hours to take him in to the other vet.

At the moment he is hiding under my bed, he will purr if I stroke him, but he is hurting, please keep your fingers crossed that it is nothing serious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Monty is hurt..

I hope the vet can figure out what's wrong and make Monty all better.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks Marie. I sure hope he has fallen or similar, if this is an illness it has come on very fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 03:17 AM
Premier Cat

It doesn't sound like an illness, it does seem like he got injured, somehow. Is the eye discharge actually *bloody* or is it just reddish colored? The weeping from a kitty's eyes is a rust/red color due to the bacteria reacting to the air and is normal. If he had received some sort of head trauma, I would also expect him to squint his eyes, too. Will he let you feel the leg he was limping on? It really must be bothering him if he is hiding and isolating himself.
I hope after the vet manipulates his leg that he determines it is a soft tissue injury (pulled/strained muscle/tendon) and puts him on rest and maybe an anti-inflamatory. Can cats have anti-inflamatories? I think I'd check on that...

*closes eyes to send good thoughts and healing wishes to you and Monty*

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 03:18 AM
Banned

My guess is a car too

I hope he gets better soon!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Heidi, it is actually bloody. If I try and touch his leg he pulls away and since I don't want to hurt him I think it's best for me to leave it. I will ask the vet, if he is not sure, to do an x ray to see if anything is broken and do whatever he has to to make him well again. (so glad I am insured, with the house i have just bought I could not have afforded any large vet fees).

Melysion, he wasn't out last night and was fine when I went to bed, so couldn't have been a car...it is all very puzzling, I have no idea what he might have done in the house to have hurt himself so badly!

I have just called work and told them I won't be in until I have been and know what the issue is...they weren't very happy, but hey, I don't care

At the moment he is sleeping, but I keep waking him up...just in case ya know
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 03:49 AM
Premier Cat

Oh, my. Blood. That can't be good. He'd have had to really whack himself good to do that.
Is there a way he could have got caught in something and twisted his leg? I'm thinking of one time Shadow jumped up onto the bathroom windowsill and when she turned to jump down, she tried to step on the bar I hang my towel on and her foot/leg slipped and slid between the wall and the bar. She fell, and I was sure she'd broken her leg from getting caught-up that way and she didn't land well, at all. Turns out she was just fine, but it has made me more aware of which cats I allow in the bathroom with me and whether I will be able to watch them or not. (showering or doing my hair)
I wonder if something like that could have happened to Monty?
I'm sure the vet will be able to help him. I really can't think of much a cat could do in their own home, without falling or having something fall on them, that could be serious.
*still sending good thoughts and healing wishes*

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:14 AM
Premier Cat

Good healing thoughts going out for Monty.
And I'll ask a certain kitty guardian angel if he could lend Monty a helping hand.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Poor baby had a dislocated hip! the vet put him under to take an xray and has fixed the hip already! his eye looks like it has a big scratch in it, so he has given me some antibiotic cream to put in it twice a day. He said he will be fine!!

The vet isn't sure what happened but he may have got himself caught in something as Heidi suggested, guess I will never know.

Bad kitty for scaring your mummy like that! And yes you can have some more ham
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:18 AM
Premier Cat

Poor, poor Monty. Thank goodness it was a hip dislocation, which while very painful, is easy to treat.

You both deserve a nice nap together. Good thoughts and (((HUGS))) that he feels all better soon.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page