Eat without chewing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Eat without chewing

Hi,
My Starlee used to be a show cat, they didn’t fed her much and kept her thin to meet ideal weight for cat shows. Now she’s with me as house pet, she eats like crazy non stop (I think she wants to catch up on what she was missing in the past). Beside the cat food I given her, she would ask for a bite from my plate every time I had something for myself and I’m too weak to say no
Now that she is throwing up quite often. The problem is she when she eats, she chow down too quick like a dog and not chewing. I can cut down the potions and meal time but what can I do to make her chew first before swallowing? Help please!!!
Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Cat

Re: Eat without chewing

Lots of people advocate feeding canned food only (or raw). With the canned food chewing wouldn't be an issue, but she still might eat too fast. For that you can mush the food down into the plate and spread it out a bit.

I'm not sure how to make a cat chew their kibble. You could probably get her to at least slow down by sticking a ping pong ball into her food dish. It gives her an obstacle to work around.

Have you had her teeth checked? What breed is she?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for your response. I will try the ping pong ball to see what happens since I feed her dry food most of the time. She's 1-1/2 years old Oriental shorthair. Her teeth are checked and healthy.
Funny thing about her teeth: because she's a small cat - only 6.5 lbs- with a wedge head, her two longest teeth (fangs?) are showing out on both sides like a vampire. I sometimes joked and call her "Vampi"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Cool Cat

When I brought Zenobi home the only thing she would touch was Tuna. I'd bought some Innova kibble, but she wouldn't touch that. Then I tried her on the Whiskas kibble that I'd been feeding to a now dead feral. Then she started throwing it up. I was still feeding her a teaspoon of Tuna now and then and I noticed that the kibble looked as if it hadn't been chewed. I also noticed undigested Tuna among the mess. I stopped the Tuna and the next time she begged I put my finger to my mouth, made sick noises and pointed at her. Then I said "no Tuna". I did this several times.

At the present, I'm feeding her mostly kibble, with a teaspoon of pate two or three times a day mixed with a little warm water as I keep the can in the fridge and the food gets cold. I'm also giving her the occasional two or three bits of Whiskas salmon cat treats. Zenobi was also begging my food, but I don't eat meat and my meals didn't suit her.

I'm wondering if, with the restricted diet your cat's been on, if her digestive system is messed up and those nice tidbits you 'can't not' feed her are messing it up further. You could try substituting Whiskas Treats for the treats from your diet.

So I'm still learning myself and what I've written above, is what I tried and found worked with Zenobi up until now. She's been with me seven weeks tomorrow. And there I thought it was only six. Time flies when you've got a friend in the house.

JusJim
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:07 AM
Premier Cat

Arianwen had been underfed, by someone with the best intentions, before I adopted her. It took months working with her to build her confidence before she felt secure enough to take her time eating, and not gulp her food down.

Gently, slowly pet her, and talk softly to her, while she eats. The petting will soothe her while also distracting her a little, making her slow down.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 06:07 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders

My cat Critter (a DMH whoe grew up with me from 6 weeks on) had a gorging then barfing problem. She'd inhale food. This went on for years. Finally someone told me to put a tennis ball or medium size rock onto her food so that she had to actually take the time to eat around it. This worked wonders! Within a couple weeks the problem was solved, and she never had it again. Eventually we were even able to take the rock out.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Cool Cat

I actually have to put three golf balls in Fern's dry food bowl on the nights when she has decided not to eat her wet food, because she will eat too fast and throw up. I don't think the lack of chewing is the problem, since they often seem to gulp food without chewing, but rather the speed of the eating. I've somewhat fixed the problem by feeding her four small meals a day, and it also helps to put food out for her right when she wakes up so her sleepiness slows her down a bit. Your kitty would probably love to have food available all the time, but obviously right now she would eat it all and throw up. You might try feeding her a regular meal, and then putting some more food out an hour later. If she's not starving hopefully she won't eat it all and that will help her to learn that she doesn't need to inhale everything at once. She might also just eat all of that as well, but it could be worth a shot. Sounds like she could use an extra pound or two, and if you weigh her regularly you'll know when to stop giving her extra.

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogdred
she still might eat too fast. For that you can mush the food down into the plate and spread it out a bit.
Using a plate rather than a bowl and spreading the food around stopped the vomiting problem for my cat Fay.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page