Moving house with new cat.... any tips - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Moving house with new cat.... any tips

Hey there!
We're moving house on the 1st September, but we only got our 3 y/o new cat about 2 weeks ago. (The lady was moving and she would have had to put him in a shelter as her new home didn't allow pets, so we took him in.) I didn't realise we'd be moving so soon!

He has settled in really well, he is an indoor cat, but he happily goes outside every day whenever he fancies, just to roam, and asks to be let in by pawing at the window (it's a rented house so we can't have a cat flap, he just goes in and out the window.)

We are moving literally 7 houses down the road from mine, but there is a huge wall separating the old house and new, and the main road is very close.

I'm just worried that he'll keep going back to the old house, and take the road option? Or that he'll keep going back to the old house and won't want to come home? (Or won't be able to find his way home.)

We haven't got him microchipped yet, as we're moving so soon, and I tried with a collar but they're the elastic easy-to-pull-off ones, so they're no good. He hates them!

Whats the best way to get him settled so soon after moving for a first time? He goes outside to do his business. I'm hoping he'll just adapt to the outside as it's so similar to the old house, but I don't know.

I'm sorry if this is a confusing read! So any tips on how to get him to know his new home is his proper one? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 02:01 AM
Tom Cat

Re: Moving house with new cat.... any tips

When you move into the new place, definitley keep him locked in one room for atleast 4 days so he gets used to the new scents and surroundings, you don't want to stress him out. As for worrying about him running away or getting confused outside, I would definitley get him microchipped, and maybe in the beginning put him on a harness while you're outside with him so he gets a feel for the new property? Cats are usually really good at finding their home, so just let him get used to the new place first before you let him wander outside. Hope that helps lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page