Kitty leads and walking -- help!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Kitty leads and walking -- help!!

Help!!

Rogue keeps trying to get out the house when Shady gets out - after talking to the vet, we decided to let her out under supervision in our garden .... ie on a lead. Only problem now is that she hates the lead... just goes in a huff in a corner when we put her on it.

Any suggestions as to how to help her overcome her fear of the lead? As we plan to keep her 'indoors', so this will be her only means of getting fresh air etc... plus she is simply to young to get out on her own, but is such a sneaky kitty when it comes to trying to sneak out with Shady!!

Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Jr. Cat

Re: Kitty leads and walking -- help!!

Elvis fought me tooth and nail trying to get the halter on him the first time. I ended up having to scruff him and put it on. I still got scratches and a couple bites because he fought so hard.
Anyway, after I had it on, he wanted nothing to do with it and wouldn't move.
So what I did was I let him lay around in it for a couple hours and then I fed him in it and that prompted okay feelings and then the same day and probably three hours later, I plopped him outside with it on. Of course he had a leash on.

I gave him probably ten minutes outside and then brought him back in. Then, a couple hours later, I put the halter on again and we went outside immediately. While he doesn't like having the halter put on still and 'argues' with me while I put it on him, he accepts it now because he knows it means he's going outside.

However, even with months of having a halter and leash I notice that the leash tends to mean 'plop' and onto the ground he goes. So I devised a tie out. I link a bunch of leashes and some rope together and hook the end of one leash onto his halter and the other end of the rope onto the deck.
He moves at his own pace, so that solves the problem of me standing outside in one spot for twenty minutes while he chews on grass and looks around.

He never goes outside without me, but now he can be out and I can be doing other things outside while he gets his stimultion and I keep an eye on him.
I also have a fenced in backyard as well, so that's helpful.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Premier Cat

With Little-one, I just put the harness on him and let him be. He did that funny thing where he acted like I had put a ton of bricks on his back. It took a little while for him to start walking somewhat normally. Then I attached the leash and took him out. Once he realized harness and leash= walk outside he was fine. He'd run to the door and sit at attention when I took them out like a dog.
It's normal for cats to be a little confused at the whole concept. Just take it slow and be patient and she'll get used to it. You could try giving her some very special treats once the harness is on too.
Just make sure the harness fits very well. One thing I learned is that cats can, for unforseen reasons, freak out and you want to make sure she can't get loose.
Good luck!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Ok have found that the best thing to do is to harness her up and simply tie her to a post in the gardden while I am out there reading etc.... that way she doesnt do the whole ''Im not moving thing'' and just gets on with exploring and running some energy off. She also likes having some of her toys out there too.

I am quite happy with this however I would like to actually walk her ... to be able to go with Shady my older cat so if anyone has any more tips I would love to hear them....

Anyways Rogue says meiow... she is sitting on my lap with her front paws on my desk watching me type lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page