Your favorite cat advice? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Your favorite cat advice?

So, I have a question... In the time that you've had a cat, what is your favorite thing that you've learned? I mean, a wise little thing that you'd tell someone who wants to get a cat. I want one, and I want all the advice I can get
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Your favorite cat advice?

Don't use negative reinforcement. They don't understand it will will end up afraid of you - aloof cat.

You have to outsmart them.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Cool Cat

If you're new to cat ownership, you come at it with the expectation that you can adjust your cats to fit your home and lifestyle. Wrong! Some things you simply can't change, and there will be ways that you will have to adjust your attitude and/or home. For example, my husband and one of my cats both love lamps with pull chains that have a ball at the end of them. We used to try to make the cat stay away from the lamps. One busted lamp later, we now have twist ties keeping the pull chains/balls out of batting range so we can still enjoy the lamps that aren't broken. Another example: You will NOT keep your cats off the counters, no matter what you try. They will learn to stay down while you're there, but will jump up to explore as soon as you leave or go to bed. Problems with the cats opening the cabinets and breaking your glasses? Install child-proofing latches!

Cats are absolutely delightful and loving pets, and as long as you go into your relationship with your cat(s) knowing that BOTH of you will have to make some adjustments, you'll do just fine. Share pictures once you bring home a companion or two!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Cat

Your cats will feed off your emotions.

That's been especially helpful for me to keep in mind because I'm an anxious person.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

If you're going to get a kitten, get two!! (if you can)

They have endless energy and wildness and even if you already have an adult cat, they really could use another kitten to wreak havoc with.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
If you're going to get a kitten, get two!! (if you can)

They have endless energy and wildness and even if you already have an adult cat, they really could use another kitten to wreak havoc with.

Yes, you don't have to introduction issues and they do need a lot of attention. One of mine has the zoomies 18 hours a day and I can't keep up. She's flying by in the background now.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Tom Cat

They will provide some of the best and worst moments of your life, ie the occasional throw up worst, getting to watch Ginger raise her babies, the very best.

Leslie
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:14 PM

If they are not litter box trained it's usually an easy fix! When you first wake up in the morning shut them in the bathroom with the litter box and like magic they will start using it! Well you might have to do it a few times, but they usually get the hint pretty quickly.

Also, every cat is different! The funniest aspect of owning a cat is getting to know their personalities and finding out all there little quirks!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:15 PM
gus

(Well, I don't have a cat yet ... It's still to come. Even so)

the counsel that I found the most ... revealing, and that changed my relationship with the cats of the building, helping me to understand them better, was something a friend said: "cats are irrational".

(Nevertheless , I keep thinking and talking about him or her as the boy or the girl who's about to come, and thinking of it as the first brother or sister that I'm going to have ... (Er -- I'm 33, live at parents again, since 2001.))

& I'm curious to learn HOW close to lions they actually are ...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Recognize that cats don't think like humans and they don't think like dogs. You need to Think Like a Cat...and oddly enough there's a book by that name that I highly recommend. The author is Pam Johnson Bennett. If you get more than one cat, PJB also has another good book called Cat vs Cat.

Learn about common illnesses that affect younger cats, the symptoms and how to treat them. And as they age, the ones that affect older cats. Learn about cat nutrition. Don't rely on your vet as an authority, particularly about nutrition. Feel free to challenge and question. Educate yourself about whatever may be going on.

Read all the articles on this site:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

Make sure to get your cat neutered or spayed, don't declaw (there are alternatives) and understand/accept the risks if you allow it to go outside.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page