The Big Move - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
The Big Move

I would have posted earlier, but it took the cable company a few weeks of tardiness and incompetence to finally set up our TV and internet and get it to actually work correctly (typical). On August 15th I began to transport all my stuff to my new house, and once I got everything up there it was time to bring Nito. Chica had been coming with my every day as I moved things and set them up. She is very brave, and unfazed by new environments and smells. She loves the place, and I figured she might help show Nito around once he got here. I wanted to have a lot of familiar smelling things for him- my bed sheets, his cat tree, the same old rugs etc- so he might not feel like he was in such a foreign scary place.

Of course, when I brought him, he expected to be going back to our old school apartment. He cried and carried on, before bunking up under the bed for the rest of the day. That night he cuddled up closer to me than ever. For the next few days, he became very needy. He would hide unless I was in the room, on the bed, where he would come and be extremely clingy. He'd cry when I'd try to leave. He'd squeeze himself into the tube on his cat tree that he fit in quite well when he was a juvenile (not so much any more! His body fills the whole tube) and refuse to come out. I had to bring him "breakfast in bed" or else he wouldn't eat. He hates one of my roommates and growls at him. On the third night, he finally came out to explore although he was quite jumpy.

We've now settled in and Nito is doing quite well. He now comes out to the kitchen when I call them to eat, but I sometimes have to go get him and convince him that meals are no longer going to be served to him in bed. He's been getting kinky (taking spankings and loving it LOL) with my boyfriend, and chatty with my roommates. Jake, the one he doesn't like, has put in some extra effort to pet, talk to, and swoon Nito and it seems to be working. The only problem left is Nito's intense fear of our creaky stairs- it causes creaks not only in the floor but the ceiling and walls to. I guess he probably has trouble understanding that the sound above him is caused by my feet, not some monster hiding up there. I'm giving it time!

I set up a bird feeder and bath right outside his window by his cat tree. He loves it. Already we had a chipmunk and squirrel coming by all the time, which of course Nito goes crazy about.

So that's what's going on with me and the kids right now! Nito is working on his anxiety and settling in. Chica is recovering from a nasty green-boogery URI, and she is eating plenty and frisky as ever. And I have started at my Vet Tech school and completely LOVE it, despite the brisk and chilly 30 minute moped ride it takes to get there. Once my camera is fixed, I'll post a few pictures of our new abode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Premier Cat

Re: The Big Move

It sounds like things are really going well for you. Good job for Nito overcoming his fears!

Will you be riding the moped to school in the winter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

I will, if the roads are not icy or snowy. I have a pretty good method of bundling up in plenty of layers, though no matter what I freeze my bum off. On bad weather days I take the bus, but I try to avoid it because it's a 45 minute ride!

Hehe, Chica seems to have picked up on Nito's kinky habits, and now both of them come running for a spanking whenever I tap the cat tree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

When you start tapping the cat tree and your boyfriend comes running, then I'd worry!

Sounds like you handled Nito just fine! Glad things are going so well for all of you.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page