What do you do when your cat miss behaves! ? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Cat

What do you do when your cat miss behaves! ?

I usually give her a time out in the bathroom, she always calms down which is excerlent she just strolls out afterwards and has a lay down on the outside porch.

what do you do to settle the kitty down ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Cat Addict

Re: What do you do when your cat miss behaves! ?

Nothing. Ocassionally Fay will whump Mia a little of she gets out of line with the zoomies but I just let her play. I don't want a depressed/repressed kitty

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Banned

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

What is your definition/observation/ of "mis behaves"? Exactly which/what behaviours are offensive/objectionable to you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 01:00 PM

Well, when my cats misbehave (such as jumping on the kitchen counters or trying to use the carpet as their scratching post) I usually clap my hands once and say ''No!'', or if they're nearby, I will snap my fingers and 'tsk' at them.

Both ways get the point across.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Premier Cat

Absolutely nothing. I can't presume to know what he was thinking when he did it (or not thinking), and I wouldn't think he'd remember the 'punishment' if I doled one out. It's about changing the likelihood that he'll ever do it again by changing the environment somehow, rather than punishing him for already doing it.

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

What is your definition/observation/ of "mis behaves"? Exactly which/what behaviours are offensive/objectionable to you?
Well when they decide to **** the furniture up, bite/scratch my sister, scratch some more furniture, climbing screens.. she goes in there for 5mins to cool off and it works everytime!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Premier Cat

For that? I just say a loud and long: "Aaaaaannnnnnt!" or "Unh-uh!" and they quit it. My cats have plenty of things they are allowed to be cats on (most of our home is cat-friendly) and the few things I don't want them doing, just a voice discouragement is usually enough to deter them and cause them to redirect their behavior to something that is acceptable.
I don't think I've ever put a cat in a room alone as a time-out.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

I have actually put Cali in her room for 5 minutes for a time out recently. She wouldn't stop attacking Cleo. Not in a mean way, only wanting to wrestle, but that's not how Cleo rolls. Usually, I try not to get involved, but I had to literally run her off twice, and she came right back and jumped on Cleo in a full-body slam! Right in front of me!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 01:52 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

I give Nito a long hard spanking, which he always ends up thoroughly enjoying, hence causing him to repeat all his naughty behaviors. His one main naughty behavior is walking around the house meowing obnoxiously to annoy someone into following him to his cat tree where he can be "punished" most effectively.

I try to deter counter surfing and furniture scratching by clapping my hands or saying "HEY" in a stern voice. If that doesn't work I sometimes give a quick little lunge-stomp that usually sends them scampering. I always offer alternatives- they can sit in the chairs if they stay off the table top, and they have their cat tree and scratching poles, as well as special carpet squares that they scratch on.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
For that? I just say a loud and long: "Aaaaaannnnnnt!" or "Unh-uh!" and they quit it. My cats have plenty of things they are allowed to be cats on (most of our home is cat-friendly) and the few things I don't want them doing, just a voice discouragement is usually enough to deter them and cause them to redirect their behavior to something that is acceptable.
I don't think I've ever put a cat in a room alone as a time-out.
yes for that, i'm sick of the furniture lookin like rags, they are nearly stuffed and i get quite mad with her when she has a scratching board that she can use, i give her time outs because it works, she know she has been naughty and she accepts it, never cries or meows, just sits on the mat waiting for the 5mins to be up. thats how i deal with it and i wont be changing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page