Missing Cat, Episode 27 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Missing Cat, Episode 27

Cinderella disappears sometimes and I have no idea where she goes. Most of the time, she's hiding somewhere in the girls' room, which has some boxes stacked against one wall with nooks and crannies, and there are places all around the room to crawl into or behind. I couldn't find her tonight, and usually she comes out when it's the twins' bedtime. She's actually been taking part in the evening snack "toss" lately, but tonight, nothing. Wherever she is, when I come out of the twins' room after tucking them in, she's sitting by her food dish, waiting for her evening meal. Not tonight. I called her and shook her favorite treat, nothing. I checked all the windows. We're having a terrible heat wave, so they're all open. I looked under the bed. Not there.

Now I'm getting worried. She always comes out after the twins go to bed. I go back into the twins' room. Now they're all excited. Their little kitty minds have no concept of time, and even though I just saw them 10 minutes ago, it was like "Mommy! Mommy!! Woo hoo! Time to get up - and OUT! Brand new day!! Wooooo HOO!" I looked all over, under and inside everywhere. Nothing. Tucked the girls in again. Checked the other rooms. Nothing. Shook the treat container. Now I'm freaking out because I said something earlier to someone that I thought might jinx Cinderella, and now I can't find her.

My imagination is in overdrive. I'm thinking that because of the heat, she's crawled away somewhere to die. Yes. There's where my mind goes when I'm panicking. I go back into the girls' room, this time with the dust buster. That scares her out of the room no matter where she's hiding. Nothing. But the twins are definitely up for a while.

Back to the rest of the house. It's a tiny house. Not many hiding places. I check the windows for the fifth time. Nothing. Back into the twins' room. I'm crying by now.

Cinderella is sitting in her usual spot on her cat tree.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 04:20 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Missing Cat, Episode 27

Yes, Arianwen has done the same thing to me, Marie. I think she has it in her kitty mind to sometimes test how much I love her. Probably because has been abused by some people in her past. She wants to see if I have any "bad human" in me.
I know your Cinderella also came from an abusive background. She may be "testing" you in the same way.
I deal with Arianwen's occasional disappearances by telling myself she is a big girl, and is very smart. She also knows how much I love her, and knows "which side her bread is buttered on".
Sometimes she needs time to herself, and, reluctantly, I'm okay with that.

A nice thing, for a footnote. Lately, Arianwen has been coming back before I become extremely worried, and start thinking silly, doubtful, human thoughts. She at least lets me see her, to let me know she's alright. Sweet kitta knows I can't help worrying about her.
Cinderella might start doing the same thing for you, Marie. I hope she does.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

The thing is, she doesn't like being shut in. Anywhere. She actually dug up the carpet under the door in the twins' room because I accidently shut her in there at their bedtime a long time ago. (Goodbye security deposit.) So if I can't find her during the day, I'm fine with it. I mean, they're inside kitties. But I think the combination of the heat, open windows, the jinx, the dust buster trick not working, etc., was just too much.

I'm glad it's not just me. I mean, I'm not glad it happens to other people, but, well, you know....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 04:33 AM
Premier Cat

Yeah, I hear ya.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

It took me forever to discover THIS hiding place! I never knew where Cleo had been disappearing to, and one day, I saw her little head pop up! You can see in there from this picture, but in reality, it's pitch black behind the litter box. This sits right next to me, under the little table that the t.v. sits on, next to my computer. She sneaks in and lays down in the tiny space between the litter box and the big box that it sits in. Kids!

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Premier Cat

I can't believe she sits in there!

I think we've all had similar experiences, although maybe not as drawn-out as yours! You're not saying she had been on the cat tree all along, are you? Wouldn't that be funny.

I'm also getting a kick out of you "tucking in" the twins -- not once but twice. You're a good meowmie.

Holly and Murphy
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Cat Addict

When I'm looking for one or the other kiity and can't find them for a while it seems like they eventually always turn up following behind me, having a good laugh I think

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Premier Cat

Gah! Your story reminds me of when I lost Mister!

Mister was ONLY about 7wks old at the time, a *very* small kitten. I had introduced him to our dog (shepard/wolf hybrid) and the dog loved him and he loved her. I got up one morning and could find NO Mister. I looked everywhere! ...or at least I thought I did... I kept looking at my dog and thinking what a small 'snack' Mister would have been for her, but surely I'd see evidence of the midnight-meal, wouldn't I? Anyhow, turns out that Mister was SLEEPING *behind* and *under* a solid-wood piece of furniture that muffled noise and just wasn't enough to wake him from such a deep sleep.
I felt so bad thinking my dog had eaten him.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by October
I can't believe she sits in there!.
I do keep my litterboxes very clean. But I was shocked to see her little face pop up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by October
You're not saying she had been on the cat tree all along, are you?
No, she wasn't.

I remember the first day that I left Cleo alone with Cinderella while I was at work. I got home from work and didn't see Cleo right away, and I walked up to Cinderella and asked her very quietly, "What did you do with the little black kitty?"

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
"What did you do with the little black kitty?"
LOL!! That is so funny! But I totally get where you're coming from. I didn't leave Torri out alone with Jitzu until she was 5 months...she had to be able to run away. The boys were much younger. But Jitzu liked them better, or was at least used to having other kitties around and was better at ignoring them.

As far as hiding...Doran's the one that does it. Now I know his new fav spot I'm pretty ok. But usually they all come to see me in the morning when I get up. I greet each kitty. Well, one morning Doran didn't come (which is odd 'cause he's a HUGE momma's boy, and is always the first one to greet me, if he isn't lying right outside our door...) so I got worried. I called and called, ran all around the house. Finally I here this little 'mew', so he's calling back...but from where?!

I went back upstairs again, and called his name, another 'mew'. Then "MEW! MEW! Mew mew mew mew!" I opened the bathroom door and he pops out. I was very surprised since they aren't allowed in the bathroom...then I remembered my SOs friends were over, and that Doran will sneak in a hide by the laundry in the bathroom. He must have snuck in, and then got locked in when whoever it was left and shut the door. Poor boy.
On the positive side he hasn't snuck into the bathroom since, lol.

Usually if I can't find him I just call and he 'mews', then comes running. Like I said, a huge momma's boy. I did have to 'rescue' him from our storage room's high shelf before he had figured out how to get down. We have a split level, and our bedroom is on the top, the storage room is in the basement. I have no idea how long he was there crying, but I heard him as soon as I got to the main level. The funny thing is Muffin had been trying to show him how t do it. Going up, then back down. Up, and back down. So cute!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page