Jethro may be older than originally thought? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Jethro may be older than originally thought?

When I brought him indoors in January, he went to the vet for a health check. He wasn't very touchable at the time, but they managed to determine he was healthy and guessimated his age to be around 5 years old.

Since he got a small hematoma on his ear, he had to go the vet today to get it treated. This vet disagrees with Jethro being 5 years old. She believes he's closer to 8-10 years old.

Now, that's a big leap, but with the ''not so grand'' condition his teeth are in...I am not arguing because it's quite possible he's actually closer to 10 than 5.

That definitely surprised me a little though, because he just went from adult to senior in just a few minutes.

I don't know what to think about his age now. LOL Either way, he's still my baby boy. It'd just be nice to have a general idea of how long I can expect to enjoy his company, you know? I feel like 5 years were just stolen!

Here is a picture of his ''not so grand'' teeth, courtesy of a yawn.

Compared to Martha's pearly whites (who no one has argued about her being about 5 years old):

Oh, one more thing...he only weighed in at 7.6 lbs. This seems "too thin" to me and he's currently fed 1/4 cup of kibble daily, which keeps my female, Martha, at a healthy 10 lbs. Any feeding suggestions to bulk him up a bit?

They are currently fed a mixture of Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet (duck and green pea? Something like that) and Solid Gold Indigo Moon. It's a mix because I knew that I may not find Solid Gold after I moved (and so far, I'm right), so I wanted to have them adjusted to another brand that's easier to find, just in case.

I know that canned food is preferred, and I plan on introducing more once we get jobs and can afford it, but until then...help me fatten this boy up to a more suitable weight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Jethro may be older than originally thought?

1/4 cup of kibble for an entire day is significantly lower than most cats require. They all have different metabolisms and Martha's is obviously pretty low if she's doing well on 1/4 cup. But the majority of cats need closer to 1/2 cup per day (assuming it's a high quality brand like the ones you've mentioned). And yes...definitely go for the wet food!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

When I adopted Cinderella, I was told she was 2 years old. The guy gave me all her medical records and when I got home, I saw that she was almost 4! I felt the exact same way you did, like two years were stolen from me. Of course, I knew nothing about cats and thought they only lived to be 7 years old.

And she has bad teeth, so I don't think Jethro's necessarily 8-10 years old. But your vet's guess is probably better than mine.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Cool Cat

They remind me of some of the recording stars I see on TV. Good pics, especially Martha.

When I went to the shelter to adopt, the label on Zenobi's cage said twelve years, five months. The shelter's computer said ten years. I suspect it's the 12. Doesn't matter to me as long as she's happy, which she mostly is. She gets in a bit of a snit if I'm going out and I won't let her go, like today when I went out to pay some bills. I can't leave her out as I'm afraid she'd freak without her litterbox. She always comes in to use it. I can't leave the litterbox out because of all the other cats around.

I feed her a mix. A teaspoon of pate mixed with a little warm water because it's been in the fridge, plus some kibble left out at all times. She eats the kibble when she feels like it, or when I'm mean. I tried to go to better brands of food, but she rejects them until she gets really hungry. The thing is, the kibble doesn't dry up or go bad like the wet stuff.

JusJim
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
1/4 cup of kibble for an entire day is significantly lower than most cats require. They all have different metabolisms and Martha's is obviously pretty low if she's doing well on 1/4 cup.
Yea, I toyed with amounts for almost the whole 3 years I've owned Martha, just to find the one that kept her at a healthy weight without too much weight loss. She was pretty chubby when I got her, and I just couldn't get the weight off of her until recently. So, 1/4 cup is the amount that works for her (although in her mind...she OBVIOUSLY should be free-fed, but that's how she got so chubby in the foster home! LOL)

I just put Jethro on the same amount because he seemed content with it, althought he needs more to bulk up to a healthier (in my opinion) weight.

These are pictures of him that are recent:

Here is one from a couple months ago. Ignore the look on his face....he just woke up and I used flash...he was not happy. Hehe:

He's not scrawny at all, but I just think 7.6 lbs is quite small for an adult male cat, so I'd feel better if he was at least 9 lbs.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Well, it's not really about weight, it's about body structure. This chart should help you to judge whether he's really underweight:

http://www.placervillevet.com/feline%20 ... dition.htm

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page