Introducing cats who are used to lots of cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Introducing cats who are used to lots of cats?

I'm curious about introducing cats who have never met but are used to being around lots of cats. I just fell head over heels in love with an all-white kitty who came from a hoarder house with 50 cats. She's just over a year old and very loving, has some allergies but is otherwise healthy and up to date on her shots. My two current girls came from a home based shelter with 35 cats and have been very accepting of visiting animals, animal smells on me or my hubby, and each other if one goes to the vet. So IF I were to try and bring this new cat home, do you guys think I'd have an easy time with the introduction process since all three cats are used to and comfortable with other cats?

And before anyone asks about my employment status..... My mother-in-law was with me when I met this kitty and offered to take care of any vet bills that come up between now and the time I get a job - she fell for this little cat also and really wants me to take her home! (She can't take the cat, she's allergic )

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Introducing cats who are used to lots of cats?

You know we've got a houseful of cats and I've had *very few* problems introducing new cats and integrating them into our home. I do the slow door-crack intro and when there is no hissing I'll allow some of the more friendly and welcoming cats (Louie and Flooter) to mix/mingle with the new cat. Once the smells have all evened-out and been carried back/forth by the people of the household then I can allow the new cat to have supervised 'explore' visits until I see how everyone behaves and assure myself the new cat is familiar with how to navigate around the house to find 'safe areas'. I also feed copious amounts of treats to keep everyone 'happy' at this transtion time.
Good luck!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

So I went back again with my husband this time so he could meet Olivia, and was very surprised when the cat preferred me over him! That has never happened with ANY animal, ever! So she just sat on my lap and purred and purred as I petted her, but then all of a sudden after about five minutes she hissed for no apparent reason. She didn't jump down or try to get away from me, but she lifted a paw as if she were going to bat at my hand, and hissed a couple more times. The lady there thought she did it after I petted her side and was going to let her calm down and later on press on that side to see if she gave the same reaction. I didn't think I was touching her anywhere other than her head, but I may have moved a hand down without realizing it, and I know if she's got something going on inside she could get upset. She hissed again at the other cats nearby as she was put back on her bed, but she didn't move to bite or hit anyone the whole time. A few minutes later when she saw us looking at her through a window the ears went back - not sure if she decided she didn't like us, if she has an ouchie inside that I touched, if she got tired of being held, or what. Any thoughts?

I also took my girls' favorite toy with me this time for Olivia to sniff, and she had absolutely no interest or reaction to it, just as my girls once again had no reaction to her smell on my hands.

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Premier Cat

Well, I'll be no help as I've never seen cats in that sort of situation before. My thoughts would be that she was maybe getting a little over-stimulated and/or decided there was an odor she didn't like. Hissing at people/cats in a shelter setting wouldn't put *me* off of any cat, because I understand that environment IS going to be a stressful one. The ears back at people looking at her, I also consider that a reasonable reaction from a cat who was perhaps feeling annoyed/uncomfortable/whatever and then had people staring at her...most cats would interpret 'staring' as aggressive and/or threatening. Again, not something I would worry too much about. I think Merry would maybe have a better understanding and better advice for you than me, though. ...and there are more CF members here who work and volunteer at shelters, too. Hopefully they will see and reply in this thread.
h

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Premier Cat

I'm thinking it was a pretty painful ouchie you accidently touched, Diana, for her to have that kind of reaction, then flatten her ears looking at you through the window.
Cats are usually very stoic about pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page